Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 AM

Default Pro tools 10, best non HD interface recommendation?

Could I get some opinions on the best interface to use with PT 10 (not HD), that would be comparable to the Mbox pro and in the same price range? I've heard that a Focusrite might be a good option? If so, which model? The last time I used PT was years ago with a digi 002. This is for personal use in a home studio. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 10, best non HD interface recommendation?

I've got the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and love it. This is probably the most comparable to an Mbox Pro, with a few more I/O options and flexibility (the router software MixControl is very versatile).

The Liquid Saffire 56 is a very nice step up which provides even more I/O and 2 "Liquid channels" that emulate popular preamps. If you have the money, a Metric Halo interface is pretty close to as good as it gets.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Why don't you want to use the MBox Pro?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM

definitely NOT the M-Audio ProFire2626. run. run like hell.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 AM

Yes, why not the Mbox Pro? The new one is one of the best sounding interfaces you can buy for under $2000.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 AM

I know that many people here have their problems with the mbox 3pro and I too have some complaints.....but all said, I am happy with it. I have been using it for over a year. I have reasonable work-arounds for the problems. The pres & converters are very good. You will have trouble matching this level of audio quality at the price.

I also have a mbox 3. It, too is not without problems, but I am also happy with it. It has the same quality converters and preamps as the pro.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Echo Audio AudioFire12 . installed ,worked perfect , never a glitch. cannot work better.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Echo Audio AudioFire12 . installed ,worked perfect , never a glitch. cannot work better.
Using two Echo Audio Fire 12's linked via Firewire. No real issues.

kirk: I can't set my buffer size via Pro Tools and must use the Echo console app. This requires me to close Pro Tools anytime I need to change the buffer size. Is this your experience as well? Also, Pro Tools complains about 2048 samples being invalid when I set it in the console. Do you also receive this error?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Mbox pro, i just wanted to hear about some comparable units since protools pushes the Mbox by bundling it with the software.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 AM

The new Mbox pro is pretty nice. If I were in the market for an interface I would definitely consider it.

I use a TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48, it has some really nice built in DSP plugins (A reverb and two compressors). The DSP plugins are VST, so you'll need the Fxpansion wrapper to use them with PT, and there is a bug where you need to open an instance of the plugins, then save, quit are re-launch pro tools to be able to use them, but once you've done this they work every time you re-open the session.

I haven't used the Mbox pro yet to see how the built in dsp reverb sounds compared to the TC unit, but it's probably more future proof with pro tools, not to mention cheaper.

The TC unit has more I/O and also has a very cool remote that was a selling point for me.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?