Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-21-2021, 09:25 AM

Default Weird audio import thing: Mono/Stereo

I must have been really tired last night....

I printed my external compressor to a vocal take in Studio One (Stem export > MONO). I opened up Pro Tools and proceeded to drag the printed vocal file into Pro Tools. It wouldn't do it. It showed up as a Stereo File.

I thought to myself: " Wha....??? It's no stereo file. It's MONO!"
So I played along with Pro Tools and dragged it into a stereo track so I can use one side as the mono.
I didn't like the idea of that so I went back into Studio One to make sure I exported the stem as Mono - as opposed to bouncing it down to a stereo file.
So I deleted the first file and exported it again as a stem. A mono stem. Not a mix. Not a bounce.

I go back into Pro Tools and the same thing happens. Pro Tools thinks it's a stereo file, even though the file shows as 1 Channel in it's file properties (macOS > Get Info).
It was late so I played along with Pro Tools again and used one side as mono.
TODAY!
I open up Pro Tools and it's trying to relink. It won't relink. I'm totally confused. I said to myself "Screw it, I'll just clear the clip from the session and drag it back in." This time it drags in as a Mono file! that's why Pro Tools couldn't relink!

Huh??!?!?!? Why did it drag in as a stereo file last night?

This isn't a huge deal but very confusing! Anyone else running into anything weird? I feel like my setup has been acting up lately... l
Old 04-21-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Weird audio import thing: Mono/Stereo

If some other DAW cannot export a mono file and you are certain the material is mono, just create two mono tracks, drag the "stereo" file to the two tracks, delete the original "stereo" track and one of the newly created mono tracks.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If some other DAW cannot export a mono file and you are certain the material is mono, just create two mono tracks, drag the "stereo" file to the two tracks, delete the original "stereo" track and one of the newly created mono tracks.

Studio One did export the vocal track as a mono stem. Pro Tools kept treating it as a Stereo file. I dragged it in to a stereo track and kept one side as Mono.

When I dragged the same file (which pro tools treated as stereo) into the session today, it Pro Tools treated it as a Mono file. That's why it couldn't be relinked because last night the session saved the dragged in file as a stereo clip where I'm only using one side. So it was looking for a stereo file to relink but it's mono.

Do you get what I'm trying to say? I think Pro tools glitched out last night. (I wish I would have taken a picture because the same mono file was dragged in as name L and name R like it was a stereo file)

This really wasn't a huge problem. I just thought this was very very odd and curious to know if anybody else experienced anything like this.

Pro Tools 19.12
Old 04-21-2021, 02:04 PM

If you cannot reproduce it, probably no point in contacting support either. But if you want someone comment on your issue some system details would be nice.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you cannot reproduce it, probably no point in contacting support either. But if you want someone comment on your issue some system details would be nice.

Yeah I wasn't going to open a ticket anyway. Thought I'd share with the community because it was so weird.

Mac Pro Trashcan
8 Core 3Ghz
64 GB Ram

macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Pro Tools 2019.12
Lynx Hilo Firmware 8.8
LT-TB 6.5
Artist Mix