Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Broadcast Standard - (Limiting)

Greetings!!!

I am trying to understand what is the standard and safety limiter settigns for Broadcast Commercials. I am using Waves L1 Limiter + I was told the standard is - 7.5dB for the Out Ceiling. Can someone explain this to me in a way I can understand please. Also the number varies from -7.5 to -10 from what I have gathered. Thank you

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
C24
Old 10-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Broadcast Standard - (Limiting)

As for broadcast standards each Broadcaster has their own specs. Are you doing TV or Radio? To truly understand the specs have you set up your VU Meter to equal OVU = -20 dbfs. Also as for output ceilings if you set you L1 to -7.5 then you are -7.5 from Full Scale digital. Or +12.5 on a VU meter.

If the L1 is reading -7.5 db of limiting then you are hitting it fairly hard for what you are trying to do. If you have limiting of -10 happening then you are sending an even louder thing into the L1. that reading does not effect the output of the brickwall it only tells you how much it had to limit to get you to your desired result.

Mike
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Greetings!!!

I am trying to understand what is the standard and safety limiter settigns for Broadcast Commercials. I am using Waves L1 Limiter + I was told the standard is - 7.5dB for the Out Ceiling. Can someone explain this to me in a way I can understand please. Also the number varies from -7.5 to -10 from what I have gathered. Thank you

Here's the deal.(for television) The standard in the US is currently 0 VU = -20dBFS. Set your Peak Limiter for a ceiling of -10 dBFS. Adjust your threshold (on the L1) so that you're getting the peak level to sit right at -10 on your digital full scale peak meter. Since most of the plug-ins for peak limiting are "maximizers", you can push the threshold further and get your overall mix to sound apparently louder, but this can also add distortion so use this method with caution. The L2 and the newer multiband L3 limiters do a much better job with less damage to the sound of your mix.

The magic box is the TC Electronics DBMax. A vast number of stereo TV spots are mixed through one of these. You mix your spot like normal 'til you think you are done. Set the max output of the DBMax to -10 and put it across your 2 bus and BOOM, your mix sounds louder, but your meters haven't moved! Worth their weight in Gold!

With the transition to digital, some outlets are raising their peak ceilings, so if you know the broadcaster, ask them for their delivery spec.

I use the same practices for radio, but I mainly mix for TV. Someone who mixes primarily for radio may offer other suggestions.

Have a good day!

P. Dennis Mitchell
Post Mixer
NYC
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Thank you guys so much I somewhat get it now...Is that fair to say?

Set my output ceiling on my L1 to -10 ?

then like a compressor, use my threshold to get my mix somewhere near -10?

for TV is this an ok standard?
I am doing radio + Tv Spots also

Thank you, oh and if anyone has AIM: slimils

would be cool to have some instant messenger support osmetimes..
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
C24
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Personally, I do as decribed above but that is the max output. I also use a pair of analog VU meters.
I've found that whenever I brickwall the L1 at -10 and try and get the mix hotter that in fact it just gets squished on air and comes out quieter.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:34 PM

And the louder you squash it, the bigger the chance of it sounding whimpier and less interesting on small TV speakers, which compress sound all by themselves !
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Ok... so when you guys mix for Tv or radio do you try to keep close to 0 VU or push it higher (+2, +3) ??? on your analog meters?
I mean 'loudness' is more accurately expressed by average levels than peak levels...
and while on the subjet of levels and metering, if you had to choose between an analog VU meter and dorrough meters for broadcasting mixing, which would you prefer?
Chris
Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Hey Tom,

I once had this problem, but since getting the L2 and L3, my job has been much easier. On my side, i use a Wohler LM60-2 PPM, but specs wise, u will have to get it from ur broadcat station or anyone who might be formulating it.

http://pinkmonk.wordpress.com
http://pinkmonk.muxtape.com
Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 AM

Hey Tom,

Here in the Great White North, the broadcasters still use VU as a reference... hell CBC still wants stuff in MONO for some programs! While most of them give digital peak readings in their Tech Specs, they still QC on a VU meter, so a VU is essential. As far as Needle versus LED meter, either or works for me as long as you know they're calibrated correctly. We use a Phase 3 VU here and never had a QC problem with it... even with SRC.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada