Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Default does pro tools reissue lost licenses

I recently downloaded my licence into my ilok then lost the ilok like an idiot. Does anyone know if digi reissues licences I had pt9 and mptk in there along with waves (I think I'm screwed with waves) thanks for any advice
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Default Re: does pro tools reissue lost licenses

Call iLok first and report it lost/stolen.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM

I've heard that Avid occasionally helps folks out with discounted replacements for lost licenses.
No harm in asking them.
Getz is correct, the first place to start is with iLok, and to report your iLok as lost/stolen.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

You might want to report it to the police as well. The more evidence you have, and the more willing you show the better chance you have when pleading your case.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Your licenses are NOT lost, only your ilok. Your licenses are still in your ilok account but you wont be able to use them on another ilok without authorization so you need to get in contact with ilok first and then let the other companies know.
http://ilok.com/broken-lost-stolen-iloks.html
Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
Your licenses are NOT lost, only your ilok. Your licenses are still in your ilok account but you wont be able to use them on another ilok without authorization so you need to get in contact with ilok first and then let the other companies know.
http://ilok.com/broken-lost-stolen-iloks.html
Sorry, that's not true.
The only licenses in someone's iLok account are the ones waiting to be downloaded to an iLok.
Licenses that are on an iLok that's lost are gone, and need to be reissued by the manufacturer.

From the iLok site:

For a broken iLok RMA: we are authorized by the software companies to provide permanent replacement licenses for the licenses that we recover from your broken iLok. Once we receive your broken iLok, we recover the licenses from it and deposit permanent replacement licenses in your account.

For a Lost/Stolen iLok RMA: we are not authorized by the software companies to do the permanent license replacements. You will need to contact the software companies directly regarding replacements for the lost licenses.

As I said in an earlier post, SOMETIMES software companies help with lost assets by way of discounted replacements, rarely with free replacements.
I found that out the hard way.

I now have my main iLok insured for replacement value of all the assets that are on it, included in my studio insurance policy.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
As I said in an earlier post, SOMETIMES software companies help with lost assets by way of discounted replacements, rarely with free replacements.
I found that out the hard way.
What? they charge to replace auths even though ilok.com have verified the ilok was lost or broken?

Did you lose your ilok? or did it go faulty? I was always under the impression that all auths would be replaced for free once ilok had investigated the case or the physical ilok.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
What? they charge to replace auths even though ilok.com have verified the ilok was lost or broken?

Did you lose your ilok? or did it go faulty? I was always under the impression that all auths would be replaced for free once ilok had investigated the case or the physical ilok.

Chris
Chris,

Broken is entirely different than lost. No one can verify a lost or stolen iLok.
In the case of a BROKEN iLok, one needs to send the broken iLok to them, and they can "retrieve" the licenses from the chip.

In the event of a LOST/STOLEN iLok, unless it's insured, you're pretty much screwed.

And by insured, I mean insured...not Zero Downtime.

Zero Downtime only helps with temp licenses in the event of a broken iLok, and doesn't cover lost or stolen iLoks at all.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Chris,

Broken is entirely different than lost. No one can verify a lost or stolen iLok.
In the case of a BROKEN iLok, one needs to send the broken iLok to them, and they can "retrieve" the licenses from the chip.

In the event of a LOST/STOLEN iLok, unless it's insured, you're pretty much screwed.

And by insured, I mean insured...not Zero Downtime.

Zero Downtime only helps with temp licenses in the event of a broken iLok, and doesn't cover lost or stolen iLoks at all.
I just wanted to reiterate what EJ said - it's exactly how it works.

Think of the iLok as you would, say, a diamond ring. You want to insure it for it's full replacement value.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM

If you have less than $50,000 of gear you want to insurance, consider MusicPro Insurance. It's an ASCAP sponsored program underwritten by several A-rated insurers. Not fly by night.

Premiums are generally 1% the gear insured, annually. No minimum (which is different than some competitors). The nice thing about it is that this is generally cheaper than getting a rider on your homeowners/tenant's policy. Some homeowners policies will limit the total computer coverage to a much smaller number (like $3,000 total).

I have used MusicPro for nearly 10 years, and I have actually had a claim. Someone swiped my made in Japan ESP J-Five custom fretless. They were easy to deal with.

Just sharing an experience. I have no skin in the game here....