Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2022, 01:47 AM

Default Re: PT GUI laggy - other apps smooth

OK, it is very probably NOT the OneDrive mirror service starting up as once it kicks in during Windows running (it has delayed start/automatic), the ID doesn't appear.

Back to looking for other services that kick in automatically/delayed start when Event ID 5382 happens.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
OK, it is very probably NOT the ...
Restore boot image from before the issue occurred.
Do all AVID optimizations. Even if you think you've done them all already, just check them again and don't skip anything - at least until you've found the issue.
Do all AVID troubleshooting steps. Even if you think you've done them all already, just check them again and don't skip anything - at least until you've found the issue.
Go through the Windows system settings and basically turn off most of that stuff. You can Google/Youtube for suggested Windows optimizations "for gamers".
Uninstall graphics drivers, then install latest from Nvidea site only.
Kill startup items. (This is one of the the AVID troubleshooting steps above.)
Make sure ALL plugs are up-to-date. All of them.
Take all Windows updates.
Run CCleaner (clean plus also reg clean). Run a spyware scan. Update browser. Delete cookies.
Test Pro Tools by creating a brand new session (your old sessions might be corrupt)
Thoroughly uninstall Pro Tools. Reinstall.
Windows clean install...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-26-2022, 11:42 AM

Are all your plug-ins up-to-date? A bad plug-in doesn't have to be instantiated in a session as Pro Tools scans all plug-ins at start up. One trouble shooting tip is to move all plug-ins to the Unused Folder, delete Pro Tool's Plug-in Database - Trasher is great for this as well as saving and restoring Preferences - Rebooting and then starting Pro Tools. All the standard plug-ins that come with Pro Tools will be automagically put back in the proper Folder. Does Pro Tools now run as expected? If so, it's a plug-in. You can move some back at a time, deleting the Plug-in Database and Rebooting until you find the culprit. Some people put them back by manufacturer.

If Pro Tools still does not operate correctly with just the stock plug-ins installed, you'll at least have found it is not a plug-in causing the issue and can move on to other trouble shooting.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-26-2022, 12:45 PM

Thanks, yes removing plugins from the folder doesn't change it, also trashing prefs etc.

I remember roughly 12 years ago there was a weird issue between an iLok Pace installation and Skype or sth like that, which led to PT crashes. This feels similarly weirdly wired.

More hunting down services, anything trying to cloud sync, a possible Zombie return of OneDrive etc tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:34 AM

A followup... the issues has been solved, and it is really annoying - even though removed, there were traces of Avast still active.
WindowsPerformanceRecorder showed a short access of an Avast service and ntdll.dll, following in GUI lag logs for ProTools.

So really annoying as it indeed was something that had been gotten rid of (or so I had thought).

Shows you... even clean boots/starts aren't what they claim.
Thanks to all who offered help - maybe the results can be helpful to others (double check removals of antivir-solutions).
Old 12-08-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
A followup... the issues has been solved, and it is really annoying - even though removed, there were traces of Avast still active.
WindowsPerformanceRecorder showed a short access of an Avast service and ntdll.dll, following in GUI lag logs for ProTools.

So really annoying as it indeed was something that had been gotten rid of (or so I had thought).

Shows you... even clean boots/starts aren't what they claim.
Thanks to all who offered help - maybe the results can be helpful to others (double check removals of antivir-solutions).
great!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume