Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Default compatibility between G5 and intel...

I am having issues with certain sessions not wanting to open on my G5 tower. I'll have a session that I am working on within my Macbook Pro and want to open on my tower and it will crash at launch. Not sure why this is as they are both running PT8 and are not using any different plugs from one another... All are current with PT and even if I save the session as a copy or save under a different name it still does it. Anyone else having this issue? My G5 is a 1.8 dual and the MBP is a 2.26 intel duo. The session is also on the same external drive, so it's not a drive issue.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Default Re: compatibility between G5 and intel...

Are they using different versions of 8? Not that it should cause problems...

And what versions of OSX?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Also, instead of using "Save As..." or "Save Copy In..." create a NEW session on the G5, and use Import Session Data. If that doesn't work then there are some serious issues.

However... have you tried trashing Preferences and Databases on either computer?

D

Old 03-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Both are version 8 on the MBP I am using Snow Leopard and on the G5 it's 10.5.8..

I have tried doing the database preferences trash and it's doesn't solve anything. It's weird too because it only does it on certain sessions... I primarily use the same plugs on most session to for the most part... Pretty standard stuff, Waves and McDsp...

I tried the import session data and it gave me the finger....ugghh.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoe View Post
Both are version 8 on the MBP I am using Snow Leopard and on the G5 it's 10.5.8..

I have tried doing the database preferences trash and it's doesn't solve anything. It's weird too because it only does it on certain sessions... I primarily use the same plugs on most session to for the most part... Pretty standard stuff, Waves and McDsp...

I tried the import session data and it gave me the finger....ugghh.
Really? ISD didn't work?

Hmm, my next move would be to do a fresh install of Pro Tools. Uninstall it first with the Unintaller included in the Digidesign folder, and do a FULL CLEAN uninstall. This will NOT remove your plugins, so the only thing you should be installing again is Pro Tools.

D

Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Before you MOVED this thread to the LE forum from M-Powered, I asked you what your user IDs were between the two Macs. If your sessions are on an external drive, you probably have different user IDs and, therefore, different permissions settings.

Select the EXTERNAL DRIVE in the Finder and do a Command-I (Get Info). In the bottom left corner of the info window, check the box that says "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" and close the box. Restart and try again.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM

Tried the fresh install and still happening... pretty strange.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Before you MOVED this thread to the LE forum from M-Powered, I asked you what your user IDs were between the two Macs. If your sessions are on an external drive, you probably have different user IDs and, therefore, different permissions settings.

Select the EXTERNAL DRIVE in the Finder and do a Command-I (Get Info). In the bottom left corner of the info window, check the box that says "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" and close the box. Restart and try again.
Both user ID's are the same and other sessions from the same drive don't have the issue...
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoe View Post
Both user ID's are the same and other sessions from the same drive don't have the issue...
Is it just the one session, then?

If so, it sounds like some serious corruption. I'd try using ISD again, and start only by importing audio. If that works, try importing plugin settings seperately. Worse comes to worse, you might have to manually input some plugin settings. I would really analyze your plugins, and make sure they are EXACTLY the same versions on both computers.

If bringing in audio by itself won't work... there could be a corrupt audio file that just doesn't want to convert. This does seem like a pretty strange problem, even if there is corruption involved.

D

Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Is it just the one session, then?

If so, it sounds like some serious corruption. I'd try using ISD again, and start only by importing audio. If that works, try importing plugin settings seperately. Worse comes to worse, you might have to manually input some plugin settings. I would really analyze your plugins, and make sure they are EXACTLY the same versions on both computers.

If bringing in audio by itself won't work... there could be a corrupt audio file that just doesn't want to convert. This does seem like a pretty strange problem, even if there is corruption involved.
it's on about 3 of my sessions that it happens... I was starting to think it was a plug issue, but then it should let me import the audio...

the sessions run flawlessly on my MBP so I can still do what I need to, it's just odd...