Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-20-2024, 10:33 AM

Default Input Level too Hot 2024.3 version

Hello,

I have a perpetual license and did and update a liitle over month ago (2024.3). Since then anything I input to record is in the red or very close. (Recording at 96K) Preamps with gain at almost zero and output to near zero will peg the meters. I went into prefences/Meter and set peak to zero and set to linear which helped but just slightly. I'm sure it something simple but after 8 years using pro tools I cannot figure this out.

As always any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading,
John
Old 05-20-2024, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Input Level too Hot 2024.3 version

You're not outputting external preamps at line level into internal preamps at mic level, are you?

You haven't given any details, so making a guess here. Maybe if you explain what the pieces are and how they're connected someone can help you.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:52 PM

Is your input level really that hot or are you saying that the metering has seemed to change?

For example, if you record an audio track, is the waveform where it normally is when you record or is it now a lot hotter?

If it's just metering, you can try setting the Track and Master Meter Types to Sample Peak and ProTools Classic to see if it goes back to the way it was.

System Details
Old 05-20-2024, 12:52 PM

Yes, gotcha. For example. U87 Mincrophone to a Avalon 1073 (Gain and output almost on zero) into motu A16 interface to protools. Track record enabled input button on.... Signal in is almost in red. Same results for any signal, instrument, mic, DI. Also same result with tone generator.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:54 PM

Recorded waveform is playing back hot also.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:29 PM

The question has to be asked again, are you sending a line level output (around 1.3 volts) to a mic input (wants to see about .007 volts)? Instrument, mic and DI inputs are all designed for a VERY SMALL signal. And since you didn’t mention anything about using LINE inputs……
Old 05-20-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
The question has to be asked again, are you sending a line level output (around 1.3 volts) to a mic input (wants to see about .007 volts)? Instrument, mic and DI inputs are all designed for a VERY SMALL signal. And since you didn’t mention anything about using LINE inputs……
This^^^ or simply turn the output of the preamp down(before the interface). You should also refer to the manual for the A16 and see if there is an input level setting available(because if there is, then maybe that setting needs to change from -10 to +4, or from Instrument to Line).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-20-2024, 02:08 PM

No,not sending line level output. Checked the interface also and switched out to a different interface as well.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:24 PM

What? Just no. Lets answer folks questions better.

You have an outboard preamp, by definition that sends line level outputs (in normal use).

And since the 16A only has line level inputs you are not feeding that line level output to a mic level input.

This will have absolutely nothing to do with Pro Tools licensing.

So the likely issues you have are...

(A) Messed up meter settings (or something else) in Pro Tools.

You exclude that by trashing prefs. Then checking meter settings. I would just use classic meters for a test and stop talking about silly colors. You have the dBFS numbers on the meters right in front of you. You may have already excluded that.

(B) improper signal routing/effects applied in the 16A hardware mixer and/or possibly Pro Tools or sone combination (like a DAW return driving into the mic input).

Look at the meter levels in the Motu mixer... what level is the mixer seeing from the preamp? What level is it sending the DAW mic input? That should agree numerically with what Pro Tools sees. If not reset the interface, try disabling the mixer, I can't recall how easy that is on Motu. Since so many weird problems are caused by hardware mixer confusion I would really suspect that, especially if you are not totally in top of how the Motu mixer works, or if somebody else has messed with it.

You tried an *exactly* what different interface? You need to slow down and describe stuff with enough details that anybody has a chance of helping you.

(C) Something else...

You have a pile of tools in front of you with which to test and measure what is going on. If you suspect the preamp you can check it with the Motu hardware mixer out to headphones, you can use the signal generator plugin to send low level test tones out the interface into mic inputs in the preamp and line inputs and do accurate gain measurements. etc. etc.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:53 PM

To echo and expand on what Darryl said:
If you send a +4 signal into a -10 input, yes, it’s going to be WAY hot and you don’t circumvent that mismatch by just turning things down.