Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 12-30-2023, 02:02 PM

Default Re: System audio monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Start View Post
In playing with DVS, I'm realizing that on Macs it cannot support 44.1,

DVS supports 44.1k. You have to set it from Dante Controller.
Quote:
The Omni has a couple brilliant features that are nowhere to be found on the MTRX range of products, one of which is an S/PDIF input with a hardware SRC that would fix all of this.
Full size MTRX support S/PDIF by transformer to AES (with SRC.) AES and S/PDIF are just 110ohm balanced vs 75ohm unbalanced over copper.
Quote:
Is it possible to run an Omni in conjunction with two MTRX Studios, just for some inputs that you might need? I would try it but I'm lacking the DigiLink cables at the moment.
Yes. You can run one Omni in any HDX system. But you do give up a digilink port for it (so 32 channels even though the Omni does not have 32 channels.) And it will not show up in DADman. A far easier solution is any USB hardware interface with ADAT out (like any of the MOTU Ultralite) and then plug the ADAT out into the MTRX Studio.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.6, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.7 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 12-30-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

DVS supports 44.1k. You have to set it from Dante Controller.
I was looking in the wrong part of Controller, and reading the Audinate support page for this, which apparently is out of date!

Quote:
Full size MTRX support S/PDIF by transformer to AES (with SRC.) AES and S/PDIF are just 110ohm balanced vs 75ohm unbalanced over copper.
Fair enough, I made an inaccurate statement, but I won't be buying one!

Quote:
Yes. You can run one Omni in any HDX system. But you do give up a digilink port for it (so 32 channels even though the Omni does not have 32 channels.) And it will not show up in DADman. A far easier solution is any USB hardware interface with ADAT out (like any of the MOTU Ultralite) and then plug the ADAT out into the MTRX Studio.
OK good to know. Although you still have the no-SRC problem I would guess.

Losing/dedicating two analogue ins is looking more appealing as the various digital bottles keep getting lined up and knocked down.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:57 PM

Hey Folks,

I am thinking of getting a MTRX Studio for MAC coreaudio ATMOS monitoring and Pro Tools Ultimate on a 2019 Mac Pro. No HD(x) hardware involved. Hoping to avoid buying the TB3 card for the MTRX Studio.

So if I use DVS (Dante Virtual Soundcard) to route core audio to the MTRX Studio there is some issue with the sample rate changing or not changing after Pro Tools usage? If so, what's the workaround?

Thanks,
Robert
Houston, TX
Old 05-19-2024, 03:01 PM

You can change the sample rate but it is always manually from Dante Controller (which I've taken screenshots above for where.)

That's it.

It will not "follow" sample rates.
This is a limitation of Dante Virtual Soundcard (not the MTRX/MTRX Studio.)
If you don't use DVS and instead use something like RME Digiface Dante (a USB to Dante device), you can set things to follow.

If you are always at the sample rate, then none of this matters. You'll be fine.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.6, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.7 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 05-19-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
You can change the sample rate but it is always manually from Dante Controller (which I've taken screenshots above for where.)

That's it.

It will not "follow" sample rates.
This is a limitation of Dante Virtual Soundcard (not the MTRX/MTRX Studio.)
If you don't use DVS and instead use something like RME Digiface Dante (a USB to Dante device), you can set things to follow.

If you are always at the sample rate, then none of this matters. You'll be fine.
Changing it in in the Dante Controller is probably not a big deal. A scenerio that comes to mind is going from a 24/96 PT project to a 24/48 project in Media Composer. Or switching to Qobuz and playing something at 24/192.

Thanks,
Robert
Houston, TX
Old 05-19-2024, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infohou View Post
Changing it in in the Dante Controller is probably not a big deal. A scenerio that comes to mind is going from a 24/96 PT project to a 24/48 project in Media Composer. Or switching to Qobuz and playing something at 24/192.

Thanks,
Robert
You have to do it manually. Also remember that Dante is a S/Mux (mutliplex) format. So channels half as you double FS. So for instance, if you are on 48k and need to go to 96k, in DADman you'll need to change the clock to 96 and in Dante Controller you'll have to change the DVS to 96. And if you are using under 32 channels your mapping (in Dante terms, subscriptions) will still hold true.) If you used higher channels (33-64), they would disappear when you doubled FS and would map to nowhere (this is both in Dante Controller and DVS)

The thunderbolt option may be better for you (it, too, needs manual clock changing and is an S/MUX format but it can do 192k). The RME Digiface Dante also can do 192k (though, once again, you can't get around S/MUX channel limitations)

(Update: see Jeff below. It does support 192k on DVS. Just older documentation on Audinate's support site says it doesn't https://dev.audinate.com/GA/dvs/user...dio_format.htm. But the dropdown does show 192k now)

Last edited by BScout; 05-20-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:16 AM
Avid

Dante Virtual Soundcard does indeed work at 192kHz up to an 8x8 configuration max.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-20-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
You have to do it manually. Also remember that Dante is a S/Mux (mutliplex) format. So channels half as you double FS. So for instance, if you are on 48k and need to go to 96k, in DADman you'll need to change the clock to 96 and in Dante Controller you'll have to change the DVS to 96. And if you are using under 32 channels your mapping (in Dante terms, subscriptions) will still hold true.) If you used higher channels (33-64), they would disappear when you doubled FS and would map to nowhere (this is both in Dante Controller and DVS)

But -- big flag on your hypothetical -- DVS does NOT support 192k. 96k is the max. The thunderbolt option may be better for you (it, too, needs manual clock changing and is an S/MUX format but it can do 192k). The RME Digiface Dante also can do 192k (though, once again, you can't get around S/MUX channel limitations)
Ah crap, I listen to some 192k music. I guess I'll pony up for the Thunderbolt option.

Thanks much for all the help,
Robert
Houston, TX
Old 05-20-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infohou View Post
Ah crap, I listen to some 192k music. I guess I'll pony up for the Thunderbolt option.

Thanks much for all the help,
Robert
see Jeff's note above yours. It does support 192khz. I was looking at the older Dante DVS spec page.

Current:
https://dev.audinate.com/GA/dvs/user...o_channels.htm

Trying it out, you need to make sure you have DVS set to 8x8 before going to change the sample rate to 192k in Dante Controller (otherwise it doesn't "stick")
Old 05-20-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
see Jeff's note above yours. It does support 192khz. I was looking at the older Dante DVS spec page.

Current:
https://dev.audinate.com/GA/dvs/user...o_channels.htm

Trying it out, you need to make sure you have DVS set to 8x8 before going to change the sample rate to 192k in Dante Controller (otherwise it doesn't "stick")
Thanks, The 192K stuff I listen to is Stereo so maybe I won't buy the TB3 interface. It is stupidly expensive for what it is.

Y'all take care,
Robert
Houston, TX