Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD

Old 04-22-2024, 01:10 PM

Default Sync HD drifts and stutters

Hi, I've recently added HDX, Sync HD, MTRX Studio and AJA Gen 10 to my studio to achieve genlock video. I have everything hooked up right, all indicators show everything is locked and set correctly, but my sync drifts over a half frame while working, and I get frequent ~1 second pauses/hangs especially just after scrubbing. I suspect the Sync HD or possibly the aftermarket serial cable I got on ebay, although it shows up fine in Digitest and PT, takes firmware "updates" (2.2.1) and I'm not having any dropouts or loss of connection to the Sync HD, at least not any that are indicated. It just doesn't work right. Cases are open and logs are sent to Avid, but progress is slow and I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts. I've tested two different computers running Ventura and Sonoma, PT 2023.12.1-2024.3.1, two different video peripherals (AJA IoXT and BM Ultrastudio HD Mini) with multiple drivers for each. Trashed prefs, reset Sync HD, gave it more room to breathe in my rack. Different sessions, blank sessions, different framerates, native and rosetta. No changes. The system runs smoother and in better sync with the Sync HD disabled and running standalone than when it's enabled. Not ideal!

Last edited by evan.jerred; 04-22-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Sync HD drifts and stutters

0.5 frames of drift over what timespan? After 90minutes of continuous playback?

Does the video card driver indicate that the correct clock is present (in the driver panel) and is it set to genlock to video-ref in the AJA panel?

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 04-23-2024 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:43 AM

I could leave the system idle for 20 mins and my sync reading will be a few ms off. It just drifts constantly while working. I am resyncing the system (sync one2+time adjuster on my master) throughout the day. I’m on the Blackmagic card now but yes both cards software showed lock to incoming vid ref matching the session and video. As do the Sync settings in Pro Tools.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:48 AM

Still not sure if we're both using "drift" in the same way. In my world "drift" means you hit play and over time while playing continuously the sync of video and audio drift apart (sync gets worse more and more the longer you continue to play without stopping). Not sure if you mean "playing" when you say "20 minutes idle".
Old 04-23-2024, 06:03 AM

Sure, we could say the sync slips, or moves. It just doesn’t stay in sync during use. When I say idle I mean I can set the sync, walk away and come back 30 mins later and it won’t be in sync any more. Or I can edit for half an hour and it won’t be in sync any more. It doesn’t seem to be dependent on anything, it’s just moving around.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:42 AM

"walk away" and PT keeps playing forward or what does walk away mean? "during use" means continuous play?

Trying to understand if what you mean is actually a varying offset but once it plays it doesn't drift, it just keep playing with the fixed offset but no actual drift.

As in: I hit play and stop 10 times and the offset is different every time.

or

I hit play (it's in sync) and let it play for 20 min (no stopping) and then it's not sync anymore?

Remember that PT switches to a different playback mode when looping so I'm not sure if looping over a 10 minute segment is supported to maintain sync (regardless or being genlocked or not).

AFAI, genlock interlocks when playing. Not sure if it does it when looping.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:58 AM

Sorry to hear about your hassles, a few quick thoughts..

Are the dip switches on the AJA Gen 10 set correctly?
Is the video playing at the right frame rate and without any errors?
Have you changed out the LoopSync and/or SyncHD cables at all?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:03 AM

The dip switches are good. Sync HD and vid card shows lock in 23.98 and 24 sessions (after changing the rate of the Gen 10). As for the BNC cables, they are brand new and I’ve tried both loop sync and word clock between the Sync HD and MTRX studio with the same results. Video plays fine, but has some stuttering when stopping and starting while the Sync HD is active but that smooths out when I disable Sync HD in peripherals.