Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Red face Feel like a complete idiot!

In the process of building a new rig for my HD|3 and soon discovered that my old original HD cards won't fit into the PCIe slots on my new MB (Asus P6T6 WS) Why did I make such an obvious mistake!? Must be too much late tracking...

So what to do now? Buy an expensive PCIe upgrade for my cards or get another MB? If you suggest a different MB will there be any left with old PCI slots? An secondly, will it fit my new CPU requesting a 1366-socket..

Feeling (embarrased)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 PM

There is another alternative. There are pcie>pci adapter chassis' out there. I believe only the magma ones are qualified and they aren't cheap from my understanding. But might be less than swapping cards. However swapping mobos would probably be the least expensive. If there is one that meets your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Feel like a complete idiot!

I found two motherboards but realize you need 3 slots. Click
Here.

Here.

I realize now only the second one will fit your current cpu.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 PM

The Asus board suggested is no good I'm afraid. You need 3 consecutive PCI slots for your HD3 rig otherwise the TDM connectors won't reach.
As far as I know there aren't any currently available boards that fit the 1366 CPU's that have this.
There are quite a few boards that fit the 1156 CPU however (like the MSI one suggested).
There are soon to be AsRock Pro3 P67 motherboards that fit the new Sandybridge 1155 CPU's as well that have 3 PCI slots.
I would recommend if possible you get a new CPU and board again!
I myself am waiting for the AsRock/Sandybridge combo as it should serve well into the future..
I know it seems a waste but the price of a new CPU and motheboard should come to about £250/$400, which is a lot cheaper than getting a chassis for the cards or upgrading to PCIe Accel!
There are quite a few threads in the LE board relating to this i think..
Good luck!
Lifer
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Cool Re: Feel like a complete idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
In the process of building a new rig for my HD|3 and soon discovered that my old original HD cards won't fit into the PCIe slots on my new MB (Asus P6T6 WS) Why did I make such an obvious mistake!? Must be too much late tracking...

So what to do now? Buy an expensive PCIe upgrade for my cards or get another MB? If you suggest a different MB will there be any left with old PCI slots? An secondly, will it fit my new CPU requesting a 1366-socket..

Feeling (embarrased)
The motherboard I'm using is working great for my HD3. The build is in my profile.

I will say though, about a year ago another user tried to get their HD3 rig going with the Supermicro MB, and had issues. I have not had any issues and the rig has been very stable/powerful for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM

I think i would do the PCIe upgrade to a HD2 system. And sell the three you have

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM

wait wait wait, you bought the P6T WS PROFESSIONAL (link below) and it didnt work?

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=W8KQxy9yuW1KK0Vp

that board has 2x PCIX slots, and 1x PCI slot.

you should have been able to install the core card and 1 process card in the PCIX slots and the other in the PCI. Make sure you have your core card installed in the PCIX slot and not the PCI slot.

can't believe i stumbled onto this thread right now!... i was getting ready to buy this thing... let me know what happens
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 PM

Dont think you can use them both like tha man

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Hi, all - and thankyou for your time and concern!

To be precise, the card I bought is a WS Revolution and comes only with PCIe slots. Expensive card, though.. Link: http://www.productwiki.com/upload/im...revolution.jpg

Unless I want to spend about 30.000 NOK ($4500) on the PCIe upgrade, finding a different MB seems more reasonable. And you guys have given good advice to what cards might work - thanks.

Cheers and regards
BMJ
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM

I am using the Intel H55HC with 3 adjacent PCI slots. $99. Works great. You will have to add a video card for Win 7 and a firewire card if you need firewire.