Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-03-2021, 12:51 PM

Default Saving Markers On Rendered/Bounced File?

In both Reaper and Adobe Audition, if I have set markers, they are saved in the render/save of the completed/rendered finished wave file. So when I open that wav file in, say Vegas, or either Reaper or AA, I can still see the markers. But when I open that same file in Pro Tools, those markers are gone. So I add new markers in PT at the same points. But after I render/bounce the result, the wav file does NOT show those markers when I open the wav in any other program.

Is there a way - in PT - to both see existing markers in wav files created in Reaper or AA, or to save marker information along with the wav when rendering/Bouncing the final wave in PT?
Old 09-03-2021, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Saving Markers On Rendered/Bounced File?

Seeing a few posts from you makes me wonder why you are looking at Pro Tools? What is missing from AA or Reaper that you feel you need? And, why do you need to move audio with markers between the programs? Its not that I don't wish to help, but I need to understand your needs before I can offer good advice.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2021, 06:06 PM

So the reason I am using Pro Tools at all is to try out two plugins that ONLY work with Pro Tools. iZotope dialogue Match, and Accusonus Room Tone Match.

I am a huge fan of the tools form both companies. I use 90% of their tools as VST plugins in Adobe Audition. But for some reason these specific tools need PT.

So I downloaded the trial of Pro Tools to try and test them out. As an added bonus, I figured I could finally dip a toe in Pro Tools, since I've been told since the 90s that I "should" know Pro Tools.

As for the issue of the markers, they would have helped in this current project of editing ADR on several training videos. The client inserted some very different sounding audio into sections of previously recorded vides. So I used Vegas Pro to export the video's audio track. Then did several edits in Adobe Audition. And put markers in to identify the ADR sections. That way I can see these sections in Vegas Pro. But since I had to use Pro Tools for the Dialogue Match plugin, that had to be the step before importing the audio back into Vegas Pro. And that step stripped the markers from the file.

I'm not really sure how helpful the Dialogue Match plugin was for this. Perhaps if I were daily working on film editing it would be different. So I am probably just going to go back to AA and Reaper after this.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:48 AM

Interesting! Could a solution be to move edited audio back into Vegas by replacing the old with the new? Assuming the wish for markers to copy is for you(and not your client), is all this to make your work easier? You might also consider importing the entire video into Pro Tools, doing your audio edits and then bouncing out the finished product? I don't do much video here, so I may be off base. You might start a thread in the POST section(those folks know better than me) and frame the post around the end goal as they may have better advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2021, 02:22 PM

Your idea of just putting the markers in Vegas to begin with is awesome! It seems so obvious now. Duh! It's a workaround, but an easy one.

But as I don't see myself continuing with Pro Tools after the trial ends, most of my questions here are kind of moot.

Thanks again for your replies!
Old 09-04-2021, 03:18 PM

WAV has a possibility to carry all kinds of metadata, but the way PT handles it is BWF (broadcast wave file) and markers are stored on session file.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:06 AM

I don’t totally understand this workflow so this might not be the best advice. But why wouldn’t you import the video file into pro tools and do everything you need to do within pro tools? In this case it doesn’t matter that the makers don’t export with a wave file. This kind of task seems like a pretty straight forward job that doesn’t require anything outside of pro tools other than the audiosuite tools you are wanting access to.