Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-18-2021, 10:05 AM

Default Im running 11.3 HD on Native - Will the current vanilla PT open old HDNt files?

Im running 11.3 HD on Native - Will the current vanilla PT open old HDN files?

IOW:
If I have some huge sessions from the past made in HDNative 11.3, what will happen if there aren't enough tracks or lanes in the current Vanilla version of PT?

Is is necessary to use Ultimate?

When responding please do not send best guesses, if you have seen Old HD files open in Vanilla and witnessed the "bork" please chime in. This comment was to save all the viewers of this time and get straight to the facts. LOVE You!

Win 10
I9900k
32gb
PT Native - analog 16/16
Avid PTHD Native Card 11.3.2, WIN 10 , Intel i9900k, Samsung EVO SSD, 32gb RAM, Avid HD 16x16 Analog I/O, Kemper Profiler, Manley Voxbox, AMS Neve 1073DPA, Rupert Neve Portico 5024, API 3124+, Soundcraft Ghost LE 32, X32 IEM's, JBL 4328, Sonar Bandlab.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Im running 11.3 HD on Native - Will the current vanilla PT open old HDNt files?

Sessions will open fine. Worst case is that some tracks will be made inactive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Im running 11.3 HD on Native - Will the current vanilla PT open old HDNt files?

Opening old sessions on current is generally speaking pretty much trouble free, it is the other way around you need to be concerned. As in if you use a feature introduced later and open the session on an older system (.ptx is compatible down to 10.0.0) you might lose some features and once you save the session the use of new features is lost forever (which is why if you go down on PT version first thing you do is Save Copy In and work with that).

Another thing is going from ultimate to standard software. Most notable differences are lack of greater-than-stereo, smaller i/o count, smaller track count but as said you would most likely only notice that last tracks are made inactive if your session exceeds the limit.

Nothing to worry about, just go for it and if you suspect anything may be going wrong first thing you do is Save Copy In and test with that session.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:57 PM

IIRC, there was a version or two that, instead of making the Tracks over the limit inactive, actually deleted them. Can't remember which versions, but there was a Thread or more about it. Here's one from this year, start at Post #22.

That said, starting with 2021.6, Standard Pro Tools gets 256 TRACKS mono or stereo, and Ultimate gets 2048 VOICES. But I don't know what happens if one goes from 2021.6 and above Ultimate to Standard and there are still too many Tracks. Do they go inactive or are they still deleted?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-18-2021, 04:04 PM

One of my pet peeves since PT7 beta team days, just implement a keystroke that could downgrade HD/Ultimate to standard features.. not happening yet.. if that was a possiblity, I could test that for you. But no. I only have Ultimate, cannot say what happens when something is opened in standard software.

But with that said, the huge voice count of ultimate has little to do with TRACKS but just simply think about 7.1 track taking 8 voices, 2048 voices would be 256 tracks. This is mainly telling that standard and ultimate both have 256 tracks regardless of track width (standard software being limited to stereo, ultimate allowing greater-than-stereo).