Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 10:40 AM

Default macOS Ventura 13.0 - Anyone tried it (or a beta)?

Curious if anyone has tried macOS Ventura 13.0 (final release or even a beta) with ProTools 2022.9? I'm used to lingering on older OSes for a long time with PT, but there are numerous Ventura features I'd love to fold into my daily workflow. If the impact on PT seems to be minimal, I might consider doing a full system backup and giving it a try. (Fortunately the only client I have to be concerned about is myself.)
Old 10-24-2022, 10:43 AM

Default Re: macOS Ventura 13.0 - Anyone tried it (or a beta)?

Beta running fine here . Installing the final later BUT ...REMEMBER NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY AVID at the moment.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:54 AM

I had A LOT of problems with the latest Beta, (had to reformat and start over with Monterey) but would also like to know others experiences!
For some reason it does seem to work much better on my MacBook Air M1. Mac Studio not at all...

/M

Mac Studio
Avid HDX HD I/O
Pro Tools 2022.9
Old 10-24-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzakent View Post
Curious if anyone has tried macOS Ventura 13.0 (final release or even a beta) with ProTools 2022.9? I'm used to lingering on older OSes for a long time with PT, but there are numerous Ventura features I'd love to fold into my daily workflow. If the impact on PT seems to be minimal, I might consider doing a full system backup and giving it a try. (Fortunately the only client I have to be concerned about is myself.)
What are these numerous Ventura features? I suppose I could just Google it, but the OS updates always seem to me to be, "Ooh look, the folders look a bit different, ooh the trash makes a different noise now, etc etc."
Old 10-24-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
What are these numerous Ventura features?
Mike Thornton wrote a thorough article about Ventura and its possible compatibility with various audio apps for Production Expert.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-24-2022, 05:56 PM

I had the beta running nicely with Pro Tools on an external drive a while back...though there was an issue with Ventura seeing the HDX driver. I didn't dig deep into why, just doing it for fun. Got busy and lost interest but surprised how well it ran.

Not a fan of the look of the new system preference window.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:51 PM

Ventura running fine as itself, but one caution guys... 50% of the drivers needed fail here, so this is where your mileage may vary.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Mike Thornton wrote a thorough article about Ventura and its possible compatibility with various audio apps for Production Expert.
Thanks for the link. I’m now literally wetting myself with excitement about all these new OS features. At last they’ve finally renamed “System Preferences” to “System Settings”, something I think we can all agree has been long overdue.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:41 AM

Same here! I would wait a bit for PT to catch up and for peqce of mind. We had some weirdness with Ventura as Pro Tools is still not OK’d for it so if you don’t really need it wait. Also if you wanna try it out install on a secondary boot drive or a second computer as I guess Monterey have beed working well enough to stay on it until kinks and other issues have been fixed. Especially since PT hasn’t been approved yet for a reason.

We might have different work as we make our living off our Macs and use Mac laptops for daily stuff and NEVER our work Mac computers and would never mix those with surfing and mailing and so on. They are dedicated for Music Only so i would never install unsupported macOS or other stuff on any of them but try on our Laptops sometimes if it is something we really wanna try out.

If you only have one comp i would use a second drive and test on so you don’t mess up anything on the main drive (IMHO of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
I had A LOT of problems with the latest Beta, (had to reformat and start over with Monterey) but would also like to know others experiences!
For some reason it does seem to work much better on my MacBook Air M1. Mac Studio not at all...

/M

Mac Studio
Avid HDX HD I/O
Pro Tools 2022.9

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-25-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Ventura running fine as itself, but one caution guys... 50% of the drivers needed fail here, so this is where your mileage may vary.
Thanks for this info. Staying put for now. My new Mac Studio ULTRA just arrived yesterday, but can't update my computer until next week. Too much going on in the room, but looking forward to it.
Both will stay on Monterey for now.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS