Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Default How do you backup your golden sessions?

Hello friends!

My backup-strategy:
1. Clean the final session (delete unused regions)
2. Burn the session on a 4.7-DVD
Maybe nothing new to you.

This generally works but last week while i was reimporting a specific session from the last year and playing it within PT LE 5.0.1 i got the original audio with an "endless signal tone" (i can only reduce this TONE with an equalizer as soon as i "mute" everything around 430 HZ). But this tone wasn`t the end of my mystery. I got clicks and crackles too. Playing this session "hurts" my ears and monitors.

1. Do you have any idea what's the reason for this unusual problem? Went something wrong while burning the DVD with Toast or is it PT?
New sessions (not backed up yet) work fine. Clean audio files as we all expect.

2. Which way do you use to store your sensible sessions?

Thnx much

DigiG4
Old 06-04-2003, 03:05 PM

Default Re: How do you backup your golden sessions?

Is the endless tone on all tracks? (did you try muting all tracks and un-muting them one at a time?)

It sounds like a corrupted session file. Try burning another disc to see if the problem repeats.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 06-04-2003, 11:47 PM

I have been backing up to CD for a few years. Never had a disk go bad and I have never had a session (or bunch of sessions) that would not fit on CD.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:50 AM

Hello!

@letrev: This "tone" is only on one track. Muting this track solves my problem.
Is it possible to "clean" this file with an editor (Spark, Peak etc....repairing samples).

@marklee5: In case of backup isn`t any "program" available which does this backup-job (searching PT-session-files, compressing audio-files and burning on DVD with one click)?

Thnx

DigiG4
Old 06-05-2003, 09:40 AM

Dont know if it helps you, but there is a piece of software available, named MEZZO, which saves and backups your audio material while you are working. So PT sessions are all backed up and compressed while you are working on it.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 AM

We use Retrospect in our studios. We used Mezzo for years but its interface seemed (to us) very cumbersome in comparison to Retrospect. We set up folder colors on our Mac's and used Retrospects interface to only back up what we needed based on color of folders; ie, green for mastered, pink for "in progress" etc. Hope this is helpful.