How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Some quirky things with PT 9

Okay,

installed PT 9 the day it was released and have been doing some projects with it. This is what I experienced so far.

When it runs without a problem it really runs like a dream. But ...

I can't run Pro Tools 9 with my Digi 002R synced to an external SPDIF clock source. As soon as I do that Pro Tools becomes unusable because it constantly loses communication with my Digi 002R. With PT 8 it worked like a charm. Running it on the internal clock is smooth though. I have checked the clock from the external preamp and it is correct.

When the Task manager is still searching for files in the background Pro Tools 9 becomes very sluggish and all graphics updating almost grind to a halt. For example the playback cursor and scrolling stutter enormously and all Peak meters and automated faders jump and stutter. After the Task manager is finished everything works fine again. The audio plays fine though during the stuttering until I get a DAE error. Forgot which error number it is but will check and come back on that later. Isn't Pro Tools offloading graphics processing to the graphics card yet?

Pro Tools still takes a heck of a time restoring tracks when opening sessions that have anywhere above 10 tracks. Let alone sessions with 50 to 60 tracks. I dissed the prefs and database with the tech utility but to no avail.

When PT 9 was released Avid also released a version 9 driver update for the Command 8. The Installer of that driver wants me to Install Rosetta first so it must be a PPC only Installer. Can we see a Universal Binary version please? I don't want to install Rosetta on my audio dedicated Intel Mac Pro.

My system is a first generation 8-core Mac Pro 3.0 GHz with 8 GB Ram and OS X 10.6.4

Anyone else having the same sort of issues?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Some quirky things with PT 9

I am having the same sluggish issues that you are having with the task manager when working with the project window when it is calculating the waveform overvies.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:32 PM

I'm not having those issues, but I have found one odd bug: I opened a session that was started in PT8 and I habitually save every minute or so. Most times it did what it was supposed to, but every once in a while (usually while audio was playing, come to think of it), I'd get an error saying that there was already a session with that name, and when I clicked OK it would bring up the dialog box for me to rename the session and save. So I did, I renamed it, because that's all I could do. But it is annoying having 6 different session files when I only need one.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm using a 003r with a big ben via wordclock and it's working a treat. Not quite the same but in the same neighborhood.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM

No one else having any of these issues?

What about restoring the tracks when opening a session that takes forever?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
No one else having any of these issues?

What about restoring the tracks when opening a session that takes forever?

Yes. Sessions are really ssllloooowwww to open. Even just a 24-30 track session can take near 3 minutes to fully open. It will take almost a full minute just to see restoring tracks dialog box open and something start to happen. At one point, I opened force quit to watch what happened and while it waits to load, the force quit window shows that "PT is not responding". At first, I thought it was sluggish because I was opening sessions created in PT8. But today, I get the same thing with sessions created in 9. And these only have tracks and audio; no plugs, no elastic audio......nothing except 24bit/48k wav files placed on audio tracks. All plugs ARE current. I have an 8 Core macPro with 9GB RAM and an 002r.