Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Default 12.8.3 GUI Laggy

Hey all - brand new iMac Pro, today did a completely clean install of PT 12.8.3.....definitely feeling the GUI is laggy. Behind on mouse clicks, scrolling, etc... I'm coming up from an old MacBook Pro computer on ProTools 11. Every other graphic thing (folders, internet, etc) is SUPER snappy on this iMac Pro.

Anybody else having 12.8.3 GUI lag issues? I read a lot of you had them on 12.8.2.

Any thoughts? Assuming Avid is aware...?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Re: 12.8.3 GUI Laggy

Are you running 10.13.2?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Well, that's dissapointing!I was hoping the iMac Pro would have resolved these GUI issues - especially given the price tag The issue seems to lie somewhere between the 5k graphics on the iMac and GPU implementation in PT, try reducing the screen res on the iMac or do what I did, hook up a 1080p monitor via Thunderbolt and perform the more graphically sensitive work on that, it works perfectly for me
Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM

From another thread under Pro Tools MAC:

#65 Report Post
Old 01-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: iMac Pro Customization Options - Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellizzi View Post
Got my iMac Pro 8 core up and running yesterday, and I've been putting it through the paces all day today.

This thing is a beast in every way, but one thing is really bugging me.

I'm still noticing a bit of GUI lag/latency when zooming and scrolling. It's light years better than my 2015 iMac, but still just a bit sluggish.

Same deal as usual - turn on Low Resolution mode, lower your display resolution (scaled), or resize your Edit Window and the performance improves dramatically.

It's like there's something weird with the 2560x1440 iMac Retina resolution that Pro Tools just doesn't get along with. The machine isn't being taxed in the least, barely ever reaching 10-20% CPU/Memory usage in most of my larger sessions.

It has to be something with Metal and Pro Tools just not taking advantage of the GPU, or something with the Retina resolution. This doesn't happen on my 2016 Macbook Pro 13" with Touch Bar, which pales in comparison to the specs of this iMac, so I'm a bit disappointed.

Also doesn't happen on my studio Mac Pro cylinder with 1080p displays... but it has happened on every 27" iMac I've owned over the years.

If you Get Info on Pro Tools in Applications, and check 'Low Resolution', then restart PT - you'll see and feel the difference immediately. The reason I really don't want to run that way, is because it blurs a lot of the text on clips, in menu/dialogs and introduces a handful of other weird GUI things. Plus it just looks ugly. We shouldn't have to sacrifice anything when we drop $5k+ on a top of the line computer that Avid made a press release specifically announcing support for.

Anyone else with me on this, or am I just being nitpicky and crazy?

Edit:
Made 2 quick videos with screen capture, though it might be tough to tell without doing and feeling it for yourself.

Here's how it runs normally:
https://youtu.be/TMyJA8iUI6o

and here's in Low Resolution:
https://youtu.be/Nf_Q_sQk1b0
We just had a customer with this issue and Avid CS sent them this info:

Thank you for contacting Avid Technical Support. Currently there is a Quartz Redrawing issue with Pro Tools and 4k and 5k displays. This issue is being prioritized with our Engineering team and they are also in touch with Apple, to help resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Currently, here are the recommendations given by Engineering and Apple for better performance:

1) BUILT-IN RETINA DISPLAY SETTINGS:
-> Choose: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (away from the default), found here:
System Preferences > Displays > Color > Display Profile

2) QUARTS REDRAWING ISSUE with 4 and 5K monitors:
-> iMac 5k models, as per Apple:
-> Set to 2K for it to be smoother

3) Try the following on iMacs particularly 5K models (As per Apple):
->Disable Automatic Brightness

I hope this helps as our customer was dead in the water with that issue and is now back to work done.

SpaceCabinAudio.com
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 01-20-2018, 06:47 PM

I also notice laggy GUI, specifically in the MIDI editor (full screen) when scrolling. This is for 12.8.3 on the latest High Sierra with a 2015 iMac 5K top of the line. I do have a custom monitor color profile though - wonder if that is it?