Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Default My TC-DAT needs to be reset???

Got some old R-DAT tapes that I need to transfer into Pro Tools.....but my trusted Fostex D30 TC-DAT will not function properly this time unfortunately. Not used for a year or so, but physically not moved either.

It powers up, threads the tape, but the display says NO TAPE. No buttons in function.... Input LEDs flashing periodically. Not able to eject the VALUABLE tape inserted. Stuck!

So only hope before I need to be physically hard is to reset/soft reset the machine. Don't got the manual anymore, find nothing on the net.....so perhaps any of you Post-people got a manual and can find the button/boot combination for a reset??? There's several possibilities to get help here (I guess), but I'm in a hurry to transfer this material...

Anyone? In advance - thank you for helping.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Re: My TC-DAT needs to be reset???

I assume there is no Tech near you??

We have 3 DATS still here and when we had to transfer a Job from 13 years ago, we had to fire them up and leave 'em on. Best to leave them run for a long time to get warmed up. Then try again. Also try power cycling a few times. They are finnicky things. Glad to see that tecnology go!

The manuals may very well be as rare as Rocking Horse Ca-ca, but you can but it online:

http://www.datrecorders.co.uk/d30.php

Good luck!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Could be as simple as a dead memory back up battery. Maybe the clock chip is shot.

These days, it might be cheaper to buy a functioning unit than to get yours repaired. Functioning DAT decks go for peanuts on eBay.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
We have 3 DATS still here and when we had to transfer a Job from 13 years ago, we had to fire them up and leave 'em on. Best to leave them run for a long time to get warmed up.
What might be happening there is you're warming up a memory back-up battery that's just on the edge of functioning. They'll put out more juice when they're warm.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks guys. All good tips. The machine have been powered for more than 12 hours now, and things start to happen. Ejecting ok, slow forward & rew - but not PLAY or fast FW/RW.....strange.

So no it seems to more mechanical/electrical related than software

And the case with the backup battery may be right, and can somewhat explain the strange behaviour that change with the temperature....
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
So no it seems to more mechanical/electrical related than software
Mechanical? That's most likely old lubrication/grease. The stuff can get stiff and sticky after many years, whether in use or not. Rubber belts that stay in one position will tend to keep the shape they have been in and do not spin smoothly any more. Higher temperature due to the unit being turned on will ease all of this somewhat. Maybe the capstan motor/mechanism, which is used for play but not winding, is still frozen.

It is probably smart NOT to play valuable tapes in that machine! Try the suggestion to buy a working machine somewhere.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 AM

A sticky bearing (grease) in the head is most likely a Panasonic issue. You might try moving the head with your finger.
But D30s just die.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:25 AM

It was a relief to be able to eject this particular tape, before I had to rip the D30 apart. It's still powered, but no more functionality have been revealed. In the meantime, I borrowed a fully functional Tascam DA-P1 portable to get the job done. Tested the machine with a non-important tape, and it worked as it should. So (trans-)mission is complete, and my D30 will be placed in a storage room....unfortunately. I've always been sceptical to this fragile format. A total of 7 (semi-pro and PRO range) machines have been in the studios ownership so far. NONE of them have been without hickups or problems. It's time to tranfer the whole bunch of tapes to HD....once and for all

Thanks for all help.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:27 AM

It was a relief to be able to eject this particular tape, before I had to rip the D30 apart. It's still powered, but no more functionality have been revealed. In the meantime, I borrowed a fully functional Tascam DA-P1 portable to get the job done. Tested the machine with a non-important tape, and it worked as it should. So (trans-)mission is complete, and my D30 will be placed in a storage room....unfortunately. I've always been sceptical to this fragile format. A total of 7 (semi-pro and PRO range) machines have been in the studio ownership so far. NONE of them have been without hickups or problems. It's high time to transfer the whole bunch of tapes to HD....once and for all

Thanks for all help.