Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-30-2005, 11:05 PM

Default How can I work on a project away from my hardware?

Hello everyone.

I have the Digi 002 Rack. I use PT mostly for editing and I would like to from time to time, be able to "go mobile" work on a laptop away from the studio. I don't need to mix or apply any effects (reverbs, compression, etc.) I just want to be able to do the everyday "line ups", "clean ups" and "tune ups" for the "screw ups"! I'm well aware of the hardware/software limitation with PT. But do I have to buy an mbox to drag along just to "go mobile"? There has to be another/better way....right?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

David
Old 01-30-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: How can I work on a project away from my hardw

Hey Dave, PT won't work without it's hardware, no matter how you slice it. No, not even with a PC or Mac's built in audio.

CL
Old 01-31-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: How can I work on a project away from my hardware?

The Mbox is your only option
Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 AM

If you mean you wanna do tracking on location and fiddle with it at home then a harddiskrecorder will do a great job. Transfer your recordings to your PT rig when done and go ahead, if this is what you mean .........
Metric Halo ULN8 Firewire Interface,
NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard
Shure SM57 mic, Beyer Dynamic M88 dynamic mic
2 Audio Technika AT4021 mics
Washburn w/Seymour Duncan PAFF humbuckers
Fender Strat w/Seymour Duncan Hot Strat pickups
LAG Western guitar, Koch Pedaltone preamp
Mesa Boogie Fifty/fifty Power Amp
Celestion speaker 12" 85 Wtts, Harley Benton 2 x 50 Wt.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:52 AM

Thanks guys! I figured this was going to be the reply.

I was just hoping someone had figured out a workaround.

Maybe Digi (hello...are you listening) should consider this and design a small card (that is way ceaper and smaller than an MBox) that would be connected via firewire, powered by firewire, to connect to the laptop that will trick PT into thinking this little card is it's interface. The imposter interface will redirect the audio back to the OS's soundcard. This would be great when your traveling, setting for hours, bored to death. I would much rather pass the time tinkering with PT, who knows I might juat learn something new or actually get some work done!

Just a thought.
David
Old 01-31-2005, 09:00 AM

Digi has the ultimate copy protection. The user will always (for now at least) need the hardware to run the software.

Quote:
Maybe Digi (hello...are you listening) should consider this and design a small card (that is way ceaper and smaller than an MBox) that would be connected via firewire, powered by firewire, to connect to the laptop that will trick PT into thinking this little card is it's interface.
I'm sure they've heard this once or twice.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:01 AM

Easy. Just get another multitrack program and export your tracks to wav or whatever it reads, then import into the program and do your edits. Then export your tracks, and reimport them into protools. Make sure all the tracks line up and and are consolidated on the import and export. You could even use a 2-track editor like wavelab or sound forge to work on one track at a time. Voila!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:15 PM

yeah I've done that with wavelab. Like you said consolidate the segments on the pro tools track first.
Wavelab has some great EQ (multiband compressor etc.) (kind of expensive I think think I paid $450).
import them back into pro tools, drag the track with a high magnification to re sinc if you have to.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:35 PM

Hey,

If you don't want to switch to another editing software interface such as Cubase or Digital Performer which are both good products as well and can be obtained fairly inexpensively. But since you seem partial to sticking with Pro Tools then you could always (depending on how many options you wanted and how many tracks you are working with and what operating system you are using) download Pro Tools FREE. You could transfer the projects pretty seemlessly into that and work on up to 8 tracks at a time while you are on the road.

Either way after you have used a couple of these programs you realize that they all hold similar traits and so being able to work in all them is not too hard nor is it a bad skill to develop.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 PM

I think we might have gone almost a month without this question being asked.

I use Vegas for this purpose. Remember to name all yer audio tracks ( the audio itself, not just the track names) before you try this-saves a lot of headaches.

Good luck,

John