Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2022, 11:50 PM

Default Quantum 2626 volume levels.

Hi, I have a new Mac Studio M1 Max, OSX 12.6 and a new Quantum 2626 thunderbolt interface.
The DAW I am using is Pro Tools 22.7
My problem is that when I open up previous films I have worked on, knowing all the mix levels in Pro Tools are good, the volume from the speakers is way too loud and I’m unable to control them using the PreSonus Universal Control software.
I have a 5.1 setup using 6 Analogue outputs on the 2626 and I’m trying to calibrate my speaker levels to, but have no control over the volume. Has anyone else using the 2626 have this problem and what was the workaround. Thanks
Old 10-18-2022, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Quantum 2626 volume levels.

The Quantum main knob function/output channels it controls is set up in Universal Control so look more there. Have you read the documentation?
Old 10-19-2022, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Darryl. Yes I've read the documentation, and from what I can gather the main knob function only controls the Main L/R outputs on the rear of the unit, but I'm not monitoring in Stereo. I am using TRS Balanced line outputs 1 - 6 for speakers L,C,R, Ls,Rs,LFE. The only other information I can find about level control is in the section about Studio One DAW, which I assumed I wouldn't need because Im using Pro Tools. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:46 PM

Take a look at this video at 7:47 in.

https://youtu.be/NO40nZ3tUcQ
Old 10-19-2022, 11:00 PM

Thanks, I had watched that video and he must have a different Quantum than mine, my Universal Control does not have the knob controls or any of the controls that can be seen on the bottom part of his interface.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:39 AM

... and if you don't see the settings mentioned in that video then your interface can't control any of those other outputs. I looked in the manual and it only mentions that controlling the main outputs. I thought all those interfaces had more flexible output controls.

Nothing to do with Pro Tools here. You could check with Presonus if still unsure.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:14 AM

I replied to your post its2loud, but it hasn’t appeared in the thread. I had watched that video, but the Universal control for my quantum doesn’t have those control options.

I’ve been in dialogue with Presonus which has proven to be unhelpful. I was hoping someone in the Avid community had the same problem as me and had a workaround for the lack of output control on this unit.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:29 PM

For some reason my replies haven't been coming up in the thread. They'll probably all land at the same time in a few days time.

The main knob settings aren't in my Universal Control interface. I have been in contact with Presonus and they sent me a file of pink noise, which I played back in a Pro Tools session, my SPL monitor measured the output at 103 dB. I also sent them my system report and after much back and forth they claimed my problem was with Pro Tools. I'm in the process of downloading a different version of Pro Tools to see if the problem still persists.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:55 PM

New user posts take a while to show up, it's an anti-spam measure, unfortunately needed.

What *exact* problem are you trying to solve?

I'm not following what "claimed problem" is in Pro Tools?

What exact make and model monitors do you have and how exactly are they connected to the interface. What exact cable and connectors? Are any level settings there for +10/-4 etc. Do the monitors have a level control on them, that you might have missed?

What is the dbFS output on the master faders when you are getting 103dbSPL from that pink noise? (it's only that ratio that matters at all). You were measuring with the meter at the listening position?

Stop reinstalling Pro Tools that's almost certainly a waste of time. It may very well be your sessions are messed up, nobody here can tell that.

Presonus surely clarified if the interface supports the knob adjusting output levels for surround setups? If it does that then great... your problem should be is solved. What did they tell you?

If not... you can buy a better interface or a monitor controller if you want external surround monitor control? But a surround controller will way more than your interface.

Without a monitor control or control in the monitors you can pull down the Master Faders in Pro Tools. What you should be doing if there are no other options, far from ideal.

I've got to assume you are skilled with Pro Tools, if you have mixed film audio, but still have to ask: do you have a suitable surround format Master Fader track applied to the outputs? If not you need to create that... if it's your only choice now. Good description of what a master fader is in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

You should be testing this with a session with a stereo track and surround tracks and working out what is going on.

You didn't need Presonus to supply a pink noise track to do a calibration... you can just use the signal gen plugin. Lots of instructions online on how to calibrate a room. At least I'd be checking the meter levels on anything they give you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-23-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofali View Post
For some reason my replies haven't been coming up in the thread. They'll probably all land at the same time in a few days time.

The main knob settings aren't in my Universal Control interface. I have been in contact with Presonus and they sent me a file of pink noise, which I played back in a Pro Tools session, my SPL monitor measured the output at 103 dB. I also sent them my system report and after much back and forth they claimed my problem was with Pro Tools. I'm in the process of downloading a different version of Pro Tools to see if the problem still persists.
You need to post some pics of Universal Control. But then again, this is not a Pre Sonus forum and there is a 99.9% chance this is NOT a Pro Tools issue unless your routing is completely bungled.