Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-08-2002, 07:28 AM

Default How I got Dynamo working on my 001

I bought a Digi001 Factory Bundle a few weeks ago. I had a bit of trouble getting Dynamo to work. Here's how I finally got it going last night:

1. Be sure OMS is installed properly. In the OMS Studio, double click on IAC (Inter-Application Communication) and name a link (I named mine "Dynamo-->Digi001")

2. Start Dynamo

3. In Dynamo, select SYSTEM --> AUDIO PORT --> DAE/TDM DIRECT CONNECT

4. In Dynamo, select MIDI SYSTEM --> OMS; MIDI INPUT DEVICE = "Dynamo-->Digi001"; MIDI OUTPUT DEVICE = "Dynamo-->Digi001"

5. Start Pro Tools and create a session

6. Create an Audio Track and an Aux Track

7. Set up the Audio Track like this:

INPUT = Bus 1

PLUG-IN = Dynamo (inside the Dynamo plug-in box set Link = Dynamo 001 Edition 1)

SEND = Bus 1

OUTPUT = A12S

8. Set up the Aux Track like this:

INPUT = Bus 1

OUTPUT = A12S

PLUG-IN = Dynamo (inside the Dynamo plug-in box set Link = Dynamo 001 Edition 1)

9. Put the Audio Track and the Aux Track in "record mode", and click on the Record button in the Transport window.

10. In Dynamo select File --> Open and click on one of the 25 Dynamo instruments.

11. In Dynamo select File --> MIDI File and select the Dynamo MIDI file which has the same name as the Dynamo instrument you are using.

12. In Dynamo, click on the Black Play Button in the tool bar.

13. In Pro Tools, start recording by hitting the play button in the Transport window.

Hope that helps a bit. Again, this is just a basic start up of Dynamo which allows you to play with the instruments and hear their different sounds. There is much more functionality I have yet to figure out (e.g. playing multiple instruments at once, creating and using original MIDI files, etc.)
Old 03-08-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Re: How I got Dynamo working on my 001

Very nicely done. I've been hoping someone would blaze this trail ahead of me, and care enough to write the story. Thanks!

Let me ask you this: is Dynamo worth messin' with, and if so, why?

Thanks dude. Because of you I'm staring at my Dynamo CD with cautious interest and ignorant lust.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:14 PM

I'd love to see the same detailed explanation of Dynamo on a PC. Anybody care to take a stab at it?
Old 03-08-2002, 05:23 PM

dABasStaRd pioneered this one:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> You need a second soundcard. i use a soundblaster, but a good asio card is much better. run the outputs of the 2nd soundcard to 2 inputs on the 001. install hubi's loopback device for midi control. in PT, you can control dynamo by setting up a midi track with output set to a hubi's port. in dynamo, change the settings so that the output of dynamo goes to the asio card and the midi is coming in only from hubi's. then there will be no conflicts between PT and dynamo. to record, set up aux or audio track with input set to the 001 inputs from the asio card's output.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get HUBI here:
Hubi
Old 03-09-2002, 05:34 AM

I'm a mac user and followed the advice of the tread-starter to successfully get Dynamo and PTLE talking. I can hear the instruments of Dymano, which is cool.

Can Dynamo work via midi? That is, can you play on your midi controller and trigger Dynamo sounds and have them record AS MIDI in Protools?
Old 03-09-2002, 07:05 AM

Nicely done, how do the drums sound?

Old 03-09-2002, 07:08 AM

Its all very techno and Moby-esque. Pretty cool.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:26 AM

Joseph, I was wondering the same thing ("Can Dynamo work via midi? That is, can you play on your midi controller and trigger Dynamo sounds and have them record AS MIDI in Protools?"), so I asked the question on the NI user forum and received this response.

========================================

Dave,

You'll need a MIDI interface between your controller and the computer, but it's pretty simple to set up. I've been using a Midiman Midisport 2x2 (USB->MIDI, see http://www.midiman.com/products/midi.php ); there are others (ex. Fastlane USB at http://www.motu.com ).

Oh, you'll also need to install and set up OMS ( http://www.opcode.com/products/oms/ ) on a Mac, or its equivalent for the PC (if there is such a thing -- sorry, Mac-based here). That's probably the trickiest part...

=========================================

I'm going to give it a try when I find time (I work a day job and have 4 young children, so PT time is few and far between). If/when I get it working, I'll do a post detailing what worked.

Grace & Peace.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:29 PM

Remeber latency when you are using softsynths to make click tracks!

I always record the click to an audio track and zoom in to nudge it into place.

You get different latencies depending on your hardware buffer size (and other facors like the softsynth itself).

With the 128 buffer Directconnect I have mesured 5 ms w/128 HWbuffer, and 25 ms w/ 1024 HWbuffer. (This was with SoftSampleCell.)
Old 03-11-2002, 01:39 PM

SORRY.

My last post was supposed to be in the "How I made a click track...)-discussion.