Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Default Dubbing: Foreign Language Script

Hello,

I've got a Producer asking me if I know what is the leeway of words (ratio) that can be more or less on an actor's line while dubbing (lip-synching) to another language. In other words, if the original script has 12 words in one line, how many words are the minimum/maximum requisite for the translated version of the line in order for the dubbing to appear natural and "in-synch" with the mouth. If I remember correctly, it should be between 2 to 3 words more, or 2 to 3 words less, depending on the length of the words. Does anyone here know if there is indeed a "solid" answer to this question? How can I advice this producer?

Many thanks in advance,
Ricardo
Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Dubbing: Foreign Language Script

There's no formula. As you already said, it's less about words but about syllables. Plus, you got to have a lip-synced script e.g vowels and consonants have to match. Here, we have to hire translators who are specialized in lip-sync. It's very tedious (and expensive) work.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Dubbing: Foreign Language Script

I subscribe armadillos explanation. You could calculate statistics but why would it matter anyway. It will be different depending on the language. Here in Spain we normally do it in two steps. A first person does a "literal" straightforward translation, and a second person does the "adjustment" i.e. modify the sentences in order to match the lip movement as best as possible. Finally, during recording, slight changes can be introduced by the dubbing director. You would be surprised to know how different the translated version can be from the adjusted version, of course without changing the meaning!
Cheers