Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Default Why is mbox 2 pro being dropped?

Question...mbox 2 pro series is being droped by major music chains...guitar center and musican friends no longer stock it....the only one they do stock is with the factory bundle.....after talking with them they replied its being discontinued.......why?....also why is the 003 still being shipped with pt 7.4...not pt 8?....seems like digi wants newbies to buy the m-powered series and a m-audio interface and no longer wants them to buy the others...any response?......or is digi about to introduce a new product??
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Why is mbox 2 pro being dropped?

that is an interesting observation. I don't have the answer to that one maybe the m box 2 pro isn't bringing in as much revenue as they thought it would. I use an M box 2 and am very satisfied with it. I am running le 7.0 but will soon upgrade to 7.4 which is compatibe with the tiger 10.4.11 software for the power pc based g5 macs. I have heard mixed reviews about the new le 8.0 software in terms of gliches and reliability issues. I going to stick with the older versions for now until they can get a handle on these problems.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 AM

My bet would be on new products.

Here in the UK, Mbox 2 Mini and Mbox 2 are sold out everywhere and have been awaiting stock for some time. Mbox 2 Pro is normally a special order item, with most places not keeping stock. The only Mbox that is in stock here is Micro (I know that because I've just ordered one and most stores had about 5 or 6 in stock, which still isn't a lot).
Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1 View Post
Question...mbox 2 pro series is being droped by major music chains...guitar center and musican friends no longer stock it....the only one they do stock is with the factory bundle.....after talking with them they replied its being discontinued.......why?....also why is the 003 still being shipped with pt 7.4...not pt 8?....seems like digi wants newbies to buy the m-powered series and a m-audio interface and no longer wants them to buy the others...any response?......or is digi about to introduce a new product??
Are you trying to start another rumor

It's strange if they drop it befor there is another alternative out. But it would be about time a mbox 3 pro came out.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM

no chris..read all the other replies....something is going on...maybe their doing another apple....wait til supplies dwinle then come out with something new.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 PM

MBPs had a firmware issue. Maybe production has been halted until the problem is fixed?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM

we discussed this in class today (SAE, august 2nd 2010) and my teacher says it's because the Pro series is too similar to the HD system line of pro tools in comparison to the other mbox series.

They're essentially trying to "encourage" people to purchase HD systems... lame in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Apple is quietly dropping firewire support in their computers. Maybe that has something to do with the MBP disappearance.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes m-audio is what sells the most for avid it's there current money retail champion and possibly there only product they will have on the retail market in the future. So you can Expect Le and HD to be slower to upgrade for now and if they don/t get upgrades the current le-hd line will be discontinued in like maybe 2 years. The only really good news is the launch of the new 12 intelcore mac pro by apple with a potential 16 and 24 core coming up soon.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurups View Post
we discussed this in class today (SAE, august 2nd 2010) and my teacher says it's because the Pro series is too similar to the HD system line of pro tools in comparison to the other mbox series.

They're essentially trying to "encourage" people to purchase HD systems... lame in my opinion.
Not true at all.