Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Help please Audiophile 2496 card

Hello all-
I installed a 2496 card for a friend and am getting input to record but no output. It makes no difference if I am using the outs on the card into an external mixer or if I set the main output to be the 2496 in the software. I even tried opening Windows Media Player and setting the default audio engine to the Audiophile, no luck.
I cannot think of any other info. to provide that may help anyone in diagnosing the problem but if more is needed please ask. I am anxious to fix this because my friend is completely illiterate with this stuff and he is acting as if I screwed up his machine (because his wife can no longer hear sounds when she plays her games....shame on me for being a nice guy and working on his machine for free).
Thanks to all who help =0).
Old 08-09-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Help please Audiophile 2496 card

Assuming you have gone to Control panel-Sounds and audio devices-clik on 'audio tab'-is your card listed as the 'default' recording AND playback device?<Best,Antz
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 AM

Yes, I did that.
I am wondering if this conflicts with the old card/driver. I believe the card is embedded so maybe I need to disable it. It is still strange that I can get input into the card but not output.

I am familiar with these cards---we have two of them at work. I have configured them many times. I really wish I could get to the bottom of this. I am supposed to go back Thurs. to figure it out.
Thanks very much for the reply....anyone else?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
shame on me for being a nice guy and working on his machine for free
I know how you feel.

Does the 2496 have an M-Audio control panel with a software patchbay. I know my
Delta 66 does. This is where you can set how outputs handle the audio data that
is sent to them.

Not sure if it's the same for 2496.

Edit: In fact it does but I don't know if this is the solution
[image]http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/control_panels/big/audiophile_2496.jpg[/image]

HTH
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 AM

Indeed you are correct.

I am wondering if my problem is much simpler than I thought. This guy is using a very modest setup which includes using his pc speakers to monitor. I just realized his speakers are not powered or "active". The power comes from the embedded output on the motherboard. So, I am outputting from the card to an external mixer, then using the main outs to feed his pc speakers. I think I need to connect the pc speakers back to the computer and use the 'direct in' that is available on the motherboard and feed that with the mixer. The chain would be" card outs--to the mixer--to the direct in on the M.B.---to the outs on the M.B feeding the speakers.
Does this sound like a resolution to the problem?
Thanks for the responses....
Old 08-12-2005, 07:28 AM

Update: This problem has been resolved, thanks to all who responded, I appreciate it. The speakers were passive and needed power. I thought I could use the 'direct in' that is on the M.B. and power them that way. We ended up getting a power amp. Simple solution to a simple problem...uuugggh!

Also, his wife is able to hear sound when she plays her games....you can sleep now.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:20 AM

Good to hear,and good to see you posted a 'fix' for people with similar problems in the future,Best,Antz