Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-23-2006, 05:52 PM

Default CoreAudio manager what\'s it for - MBox2

Hi

I am totally confused at what the CoreAudio manager does when using the Mbox 2 for any application.

I have never seen it connect, and it just says unsupported device no matter what app I am using.

Why is the manager there if we don't need it.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: CoreAudio manager what\'s it for - MBox2

I don't have the Mbox, but with the 002R, any time you want to use your Digi hardware (mbox) with an app OTHER than PTLE, it provides the Mac OS with the drivers to connect the application to the hardware.

You don't normally see the CoreAudio manager window, but if you Alt-tab while running iTunes, for instance, you may see it in a separate window - if you have set up the mbox to be the default audio output device in the Audio/Midi setup.

I use the CoreAudio driver for just about every app that supports it: iTunes, Quicktime, Jam/Toast, Logic Express, GarageBand, to name a few. Why you would be getting an "unsupported device" message is beyond me.

Even apps like DrumCore and GuitarRig2, when running in stand-alone mode, use the CoreAudio driver from Digi.

Very few apps can't use it. For some reason, I've never been able to get DP 4.61 working with it, but most apps use it transparently and it will sound a lot better than the built-in audio from the Mac.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:25 PM

Hi I just posted on a seperate thread but this issue seems to be related. I have an mbox (1) with Digi core audio. I also have the new amplitube 2.1 standalone amp simulator software. Here is a copy of the post I just placed elsewere:

Can someone help me. I have the standalone version of Amplitube 2 on my intel based mac. The core audio driver only works when Protools is on. Therefore I can't use the hardware for any other software (such as amplitube2) as a standalone amp simulator. The digidesign website states that you can use a stand alone Digi core audio driver that could run without Protools, but that would make Protools not be able to use the Core audio (i know, it's confusing), but the core audio that loads when you install pro-tools only works with Protools. Furthermore, they only have the core audio for the PPC macs.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Thanks so much?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:45 PM

I don't know how much I can help, but it's a common misunderstanding to think that Protools LE uses the CoreAudio driver. It doesn't. It communicates directly with the hardware (mbox, 002, etc). That's one of the reasons that performance (and stability) of the CoreAudio driver isn't necessarily related to the performance and stability of PTLE.

Digi provides the CoreAudio driver so that the Mac OS can communicate to Digi's hardware using other apps. It is totally separate from Protools and/or Protools LE.

1. Open the Audio/Midi utility (applications/utilities). I keep it available in the dock since you need to open it fairly frequently if you do a lot of audio or midi.
2. Under the Audio Devices tab, your mBox should appear as one of the options in "Default Audio Device" (or similar name). If it doesn't, then the CoreAudio driver hasn't been loaded correctly or is somehow incompatible with your system. Then you'd have to begin troubleshooting (re-install Core Audio, etc).
3. If you select your mBox as the default audio device, then any application that uses Mac audio will default to using your mBox instead of the native Mac audio output.

One other note: When you have PTLE loaded, it prevents all other applications from using the Digi hardware (mbox, 002), so you can't be running PTLE and a separate quicktime movie, for instance. Usually, the QT movie won't have any sound.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 PM

The Mbox 2 doesn't use at all the core audio manager since it is class compliant. The manager is on the install disc for other LE products, but Mbox 2 is recognized by the system without any further drivers need.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
The Mbox 2 doesn't use at all the core audio manager since it is class compliant. The manager is on the install disc for other LE products, but Mbox 2 is recognized by the system without any further drivers need.
Hi Thank you all for your replies.

O.K so if the Mbox 2 doesn't use the CoreAudio manager, is it normal for it to read Unsupported Device?

I have never seen it connect using ITunes or any other program, but Audio will always play through the mbox 2 reasonably O.K.

I can even open Protools and Ableton live and they will both play through the MBox withou Rewire. Is this normal?

Maybe that is why I am getting clicks and pops?

Cheers Dan