Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2022, 11:02 PM

Default Not getting audio from HD Native Thunderbolt box's headphone jack, even though it use

So I have no idea what has happened but I can't get any audio in headphones connected to the HD Native box. I've reset the MCU the way the manual says but still no luck. Has anyone else run into this issue and found a fix?

I'm on the latest version of Pro Tools Ultimate and macOS on a Touchbar MBP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 10-08-2022, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Not getting audio from HD Native Thunderbolt box's headphone jack, even though it

And you have a DigiLink interface connected and it's powered up and working OK? The system passes DigiTest?
Old 10-14-2022, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Not getting audio from HD Native Thunderbolt box's headphone jack, even though it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And you have a DigiLink interface connected and it's powered up and working OK? The system passes DigiTest?
Is the DigiLink interface the Omni or the HD Native box? DigiTest says HD Native TB passed.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 10-15-2022, 03:57 AM

I remember trying that output when I first got my HD Native TB / Omni rig but quickly realized that low-latency monitoring only happens inside the Omni. (You can hear the relay flip that directly connects inputs to outputs.) So the headphone output of the Omni is the only one I can use.

Are you using LLM? Are you getting sound out of your Omni?
Old 10-15-2022, 05:27 AM

I didn’t have LLM on and the hp out of the Omni works.

The thing is this all worked before but the last time it did was before I took down my setup to update the room and before the new PTs. I’m not sure if it’s the new PTs or if I messed up something putting it all back together but I’m almost sure it has nothing to do with how everything is connected.

It’s so very very odd that it doesn’t work now.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:47 AM

OK, well, I know the HD chassis won't operate without the Omni plugged in. And I think the output of that headphone jack is supposed to mirror output's 1 & 2 of the Omni. So that audio is supposed to be sent from the Omni back to the HD box - and that's not happening for you at the moment.

Are you using outputs 1 & 2 of the Omni? I can't remember of there is any internal Omni settings which might need to be tweaked.

Hope you can figure it out.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:57 AM

Doubke check if the headphone jack of the thunderbolt unit is muted. If the light is red, it's muted. If green, it's on. Press and hold the volume knob momentarily to change it.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:24 AM

Yes! Great idea about the mute function. Also from the manual:

If the Volume control stops working, reset the MCU. Note that resetting the MCU may take a few seconds.

To reset the MCU:
Make sure the Thunderbolt cable connecting HD Native Thunderbolt to your computer is disconnected, and that the computer is powered on.

Press and hold the Volume/Mute knob.

Connect the Thunderbolt cable. HD Native Thunderbolt powers on with the LED showing purple.

Release the Volume/Mute knob.

Disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable to power cycle the unit. HD Native Thunderbolt powers on with the LED showing red.

(Meaning it comes back up "muted").
Old 10-15-2022, 02:23 PM

I don’t have it muted and already reset it. Outputs are 1 and 2 on the Omni. I don’t understand how it’s not working. It’s not headphones. Tried everything and plugging directly into the Omni hp is fine but not the HD native box’s HP anymore. Can it possibly be something with one of the new updates?