Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-23-2008, 06:30 AM

Default SPDIF issue: Keep losing Connection and Missing a Page in Setup> Hardware

Hi,

My set up is

MAC PRO 4 core
OS 10.4.8
4 Gb RAM
PT LE 7.3.1
002 R

I have set up an effects return using the RCA SPDIF connections. I have noticed of a period of time that the 'return' can be extremly buggy. The issue being that at periods best know to itself no audio will come back from the unit ( a tc electronics gmajor) although audio is being received. It is not an intermittent problem during playback but a complete ceasing of all audio for whole days and then if by magic it will return and all will be fine.

I checked the manual and saw the reference to setting RCA = S/PDIF.

I looked for this and can only see everything else (eg changing optical format, clock etc) but NOT this function.

Should it be here. If it should, would this explain all the problems I am having.

Cheers
Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: SPDIF issue: Keep losing Connection and Missing a Page in Setup> Hardware

What version of the manual did you read?

There is no other option for the RCA jacks other than S/PDIF, so the function you're looking for doesn't exist. As you've seen you can toggle what the optical ports do (those should be set to ADAT so that RCA's are S/PDIF) but that's all the control you have.

I would check your S/PDIF cables (are they actual 75 ohm S/PDIF cables or just regular RCA's?)
Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Re: SPDIF issue: Keep losing Connection and Missing a Page in Setup> Hardware

Manual: Getting Started Guide p.62. I always ignored this reference in the past for the reasons you have already expressed, but now?

Yes they are proper S/PDIF cables and I have tested them and they work fine.

I have also noticed that if I set the optical to S/PDIF to run a quick demo of a mix to minidisc I also get siginal in the RCA S/PDIF even though everything is blanked out that refers to this.

Is this right? I am just trying to figure out whether it's the tc or the 002r.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Again I think it's just old-manual-speak and might've been a holdover from the PT5.x days that didn't get corrected when they updated manuals. If you read the 003 series getting started guide it's more clear, and also mentions that signal will show up on both Optical and RCA ports if you select Optical S/PDIF.

I have an 002r and have never seen the RCA=S/PDIF option and have no issues when using RCA S/PDIF devices (I have Lucid ADA running off the RCA jacks) so I think it's safe to say your 002 setup and PT software are fine, whether or not the hardware is functioning properly (i.e. maybe the RCA jacks themselves are losing connection) is still unknown. Do you have any other RCA S/PDIF devices you could test instead of your TC? That would help you isolate it to one of those two devices.