Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 AM

Default HD 2 accel on Mac 8 core test.

For those of you about to take the leap.
I just did, and I'm happy

I work as a producer, songwriter and technician and I run a lot of VI's. We have 2 G5 HD accel 3 systems and got our first Mac Pro 8 core the other day. The plan is to have two Mac Pro's with HD 2 accel systems so I wanted to know what this machine could do. Here we go:

Test session with 8 core mac + HD 2 accel

For some of the audio tracks I just recorded silence to make the original session bigger and more demanding, but I guess that would make PT work as much?

This is what I have in the session:

35 mono Audio channels (10 has McDSP AC2 rtas)
3 stereo Audio channels (2 has McDSP AC2 rtas)
all with digi's 7band eq 3 and digi's com/lim 3 rtas

10 aux tracks used as subs for drums, gits etc. all with AC1 and 7band EQ3 TDM (6 has McDSP 2000 TDM)
6 aux tracks for VI outputs all with 7 band eq 3 and comp/lim 3 rtas
1 aux track for click
2 aux tracks for mix A + B for double comp with Fairchild 660 on one. AC1 on both.
4 aux tracks for FX returns. 1 Echo Farm, 1 Reverb One both TDM, 2 with TL space Rtas

1 Master track with Fairchild 660 TDM

23 stereo instrument tracks.
1 Superior 2 eq and and comp rtas. (separate outs to aux)
1 BPM with 6 outs. All with eq and comp rtas.
1 Trillian with IK's ampeg plug eq and comp rtas.
2 Omnisphere with 6 part multis each. All with eq and comp rtas.
2 Massive with demanding sounds. All with eq and comp rtas.
1 Philharmonik with 8 outs. All with eq and comp rtas.
1 Kontakt with demanding Acoustic piano sound x 2

8 VCA channels controlling all tracks.

I also have some autotunes, pulteq eq's and probably something that I forgot to write down. All rtas.
-----------------------------
DSP consumption:

4 DSP 128 voices (120 used)
5 DSP Long delays 90-100%
1 DSP Echo Farm 100%
2 DSP plug in sharing 98+54%
1 DSP Eleven 100%
1 DSP Analog channel 29%
2 DSP MC2000 98+98%
1 DSP Reverb One 100%
1 DSP Fairchild 660 40%
No elastic
Disk 10-20%
Time slots 94/512
----------------------
ALT 1
15 processors (how the heck can I have 16 processors to choose among?)
CPU Usage limit 99%
PCI ca: 45%
CPU Rtas 30-40%
No Probs
------------------------------
ALT 2
5 processors (how the heck can I still have 16 processors to choose among?)
CPU Usage limit 70%
CPU Rtas 70-100%
CPU overload. PT Stopped.
------------------------------
ALT 3
7 processors (how the heck ...)
CPU Usage limit 70%
CPU Rtas 50-80%
Could loop the worst part with no stops
-------------------------------
Conclusion:
The difference from the G5 4*2,5 is Huuuuuuuuuge!
When I use my G5's I can have a CPU usage of 30% but still get peaks that stops PT.
With this machine it looks more like RMS metering. I can have 90% usage and PT won't stop.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 AM

Default Re: HD 2 accel on Mac 8 core test.

I did the same, from a G5 dua 2.0 to a 8-core Mac Pro. The difference IS huge. But I still use a HD3 accel on it.

On the new 8-core mac Pro the system sees each core as 2 cores, reason why Protools sees 16 processors. I'm using 15 processors for Protools also and it's running great. I just finish a hole CD mix with 80+ tracks at 96kHz and the max RTAS I got was 30%. Amazing. But I don't use V.I's.

Pt 8.0.1 is runnig great here. No crashes at all. Smooth.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Ramtitam and Fidelis,
Are you guys running PCI or PCI-e cards? I have PCI Accel 3 and have been thinking of buying 8 core. What processor speed are you guys using?
Do you know of which external box I would need to use 8core with PCI cards?
Fidelis, do you feel you need the Accel 3 or would Accel 2 be plenty?

I mainly do rock bands with 48-64 tracks of stuff.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Ramtitam and Fidelis,
Are you guys running PCI or PCI-e cards? I have PCI Accel 3 and have been thinking of buying 8 core. What processor speed are you guys using?

I have the 2,26 processor with 6gb memory. Two internal PCI-e cards. You will probably have enough RTAS power for all the plugs you'll need, but remember, if you have RTAS it will be bypassed during recording. If you use Digi's eq and comp you can probably have all of them on TDM without a problem. If you have more DSP-power consuming plugs you might wanna put them on RTAS. Because that is where you have most of the power.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Ramtitam and Fidelis,

I have the 2,26 processor with 6gb memory also. PCI-e cards... can't help you here but there are several posts regarding expansion chassis with PCI to PCIe on the DUC.

I could not live without a HD3 accel, but I work a lot with 96kHz sessions and I do use some TDM only plugins like TC's, Cranesong Phoenix and eventide's. So taht's just me.

Good luck!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 AM

I also made the recent jump to HD2. Had my 8 core for a while now and found a good deal for a PCI based system HD2 system with a used HD chassis.

I needed the chassis because I use two UAD-2 quads as my main plug in toolset. I went to UAD to avoid the HD jump but in the end the latency workarounds using UAD in LE were killing me. Loved the UAD sound but my workflow was screwed having to deal with the latency.

Anyway I haven't changed much of my set up other than moving to HD but man am I impressed with the result. Still tracking at 48k and only using the massive pack 8 TC VSS3 as my only TDM plug (beautiful reverb by the way). Everything else is VI, RTAS and UAD and I have plenty of grunt available.

Anyway to me HD has also made my tracks noticeably tighter, stereo image is superb and things just sit better in the mix.
Could be the 192 converters contributing but the latency compensation has been a big contributor to the result.

Anyway I am getting so much further with so little effort now and extremely happy with the decision.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtitam View Post
You will probably have enough RTAS power for all the plugs you'll need, but remember, if you have RTAS it will be bypassed during recording.
Ramtitam,
Not sure if you know this, but a work around RTAS plugs being in bypass while recording is to put a TDM before RTAS plug, then you can use the RTAS plug while recording. I usually use Digi HP plug bypassed for this.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I have the 2,26 processor with 6gb memory also. PCI-e cards... can't help you here but there are several posts regarding expansion chassis with PCI to PCIe on the DUC.

I could not live without a HD3 accel, but I work a lot with 96kHz sessions and I do use some TDM only plugins like TC's, Cranesong Phoenix and eventide's. So taht's just me.

Good luck!
I to use 96k, alot for sessions, so I might want to keep my Accel 3 it sounds like.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Ramtitam,
Not sure if you know this, but a work around RTAS plugs being in bypass while recording is to put a TDM before RTAS plug, then you can use the RTAS plug while recording. I usually use Digi HP plug bypassed for this.
Yes I know, but I don't want to record with delay. With some plugs it's a lot of delay doing like this.