Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 11:39 AM

Default New Audio Units thread

I know it has been discussed but Audio Unit support is one of the most important issues for Digi right now.

Digi should not get rid of RTAS support in favor of AU. By supporting RTAS, Digi can make RTAS only plug-ins that will only run on Digi software. This protects their business. If they can provide an edge over the competition in the form of bundled plug-ins that's allright by me.

But they should support AU right along side RTAS. Why? It completely solves the DirectConnect issue. If PT gives developers the opportunity to write only 1 Mac version of their plug-ins, developers will be able to make better software and they could release it sooner. This wouldn't discourage plug-in manufactures from making TDM versions. There will still be a huge market for TDM. But for soft-synths and soft-samplers AU should become the plug-in format of choice. If MOTU and Steinberg followed suit and also supported AU (not sure of their policies) there would be no need for 3rd party developers to write 4 or 5 different versions of their software. Each DAW would support at least 2 formats--AU and their own. MOTU could still support MAS-only plugs, Steinberg would still support VST, etc. Like Digi, they could add value and a competitive edge to their software by providing platform specific plug-ins.

The fact that Adrian Haselhuber left out any mention of AU support in PT in his DirectConnect message (http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/dc/) is not promising. I am convinced that there may be little to no need for DirectConnect in PT6 but Audio Units is another issue. Digi, we need a statement from you. Do you have plans to support AU in the future?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:09 PM

Default Re: New Audio Units thread

bump
Old 03-12-2003, 09:54 AM

The silence is deafening...
Old 03-12-2003, 09:47 PM

The Silence Also Speaks Volumes!
Old 03-13-2003, 02:23 AM

I agree with you Shadowbox but I doubt Digi will comment at present. Contrary to everyone else (please don't slam me) I actually felt is was a glimmer of hope when NI said Kontact would not be RTAS. This would have forced Digi to rethink the AU thing. If some major plugs were to be AU only, Digi would implement AU but as long as everyone bows to Digi's plans, we the users are out of luck.

As an aside, Steinberg are now planning future AU support for their own plugs (goodbye VST on OSX). If you're a Logic user, you will shortly be able to get access to AU & TDM in the same session.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tone:
As an aside, Steinberg are now planning future AU support for their own plugs (goodbye VST on OSX). If you're a Logic user, you will shortly be able to get access to AU & TDM in the same session.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, they make an AU version of at least one of their plugs, but will Cubase SX support other AU's? They have been vague about this a long time.... Or have you seen any news I haven't? URL's to share?

IF SX supports AU, and Logic already does (+ have stated that DP will do), at least the need for VST and MAS is nonexistent.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:42 AM

"I am convinced that there may be little to no need for DirectConnect in PT6..."

Are you kidding?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 AM

But what about PC users? I haven't heard of "audio units" for that platform - and the PC userbase is growing......

My .02

take care,

dave
Old 03-13-2003, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by speer:
"I am convinced that there may be little to no need for DirectConnect in PT6..."

Are you kidding?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No. If almost every soft-synth, soft-sampler is made for AudioUnits why would we need DirectConnect? I would much prefer this scenario. You'd have full automation and total recall of all presets. Of course, I understand that if software makers don't embrace AU we will need DirectConnect or a similar solution. That is why I said there "may" be little to no need for DC. But all indications are that they are embracing AU.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:02 AM

Seems like the issue is the benefits / drawbacks of a proprietary system vs. the benefits ( / drawbacks?)of a standard, which AU seems poised to become.