Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-24-2021, 04:12 PM

Default Re: lagging mouse ergggggg

no. google chrome and google helper only fix the lag when protools is stopped, as in not playing the song.

It still lags during playback. even with 2 tracks

I"m not sure what you mean about "Google-free world is just as great as Waves-free". all my plugins are bought. no cracked plugins.
this is what I do for a living and I can hardly mix a song.

In recording sessions I'm battling a laggy mouse and it's making everything incredibly difficult. and life miserable.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM

and even still sometimes after google chrome and helper are stopped , it still lags when protools is stopped
Old 09-25-2021, 10:21 AM

any last thoughts? anything else to try? I"m all ears

I"ve tried everything I can think of. googled everything.
I just bought another mac pro 3.1.

The fact that it's issues are so random, it's very hard to troubleshoot

Next step is a full reinstall of software and hardware
Old 09-25-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie55 View Post
Next step is a full reinstall of software and hardware
That would have been my first step, but glad you got to your senses eventually.

I have several old systems, one of them being OSX 10.6.8 & PT 8.1.1 combo with HD3|accel cards and never ever have I experienced this lagging mouse issue with wired or wireless mouses.

But then again I have always started from clean install.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:55 PM

I was hoping it was an easy fix. I really wanted to figure exactly what was causing the issue to insure it wouldn't occur later.

I was worried that after a fresh install I would have the same issues.
But I guess a fresh install would be the 1st thing, and if the error continued, then I should try and solve it from there
Old 09-26-2021, 12:51 AM

Just today I started to experience this mouse lagging issue myself, even outside PT, so it is not really PT issue. In my case mouse and keyboard are wireless, so sudden BT issues are expected. But the way this is lagging makes me believe it is an OS issue that I need to dig deeper. Sometimes the wireless keyboard forgets what I have typed and sometimes it adds half a dozen extra spaces where I have not typed anything. Very annoying.

Will keep you posted if I find anything useful.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:41 AM

Turning bluetooth off/on did not solve it.

Rebooting did not solve it.

Resetting PRAM did not solve it.

Mysteriously, I got my mouse and keyboard back once I disconnected every other USB device except iLok key, which is obviously needed.

Once I put my USB stuff back it has so far been behaving nicely.

So... take a look at your USB, that was the trick here.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Turning bluetooth off/on did not solve it.

Rebooting did not solve it.

Resetting PRAM did not solve it.

Mysteriously, I got my mouse and keyboard back once I disconnected every other USB device except iLok key, which is obviously needed.

Once I put my USB stuff back it has so far been behaving nicely.

So... take a look at your USB, that was the trick here.
This past 18 months, I've owned 3 differet Mac Minis (2018) and a M1. They all have these Blutooth problems. There are thousands of posts about this all over the net, and Apple has not adressed it at all. We are many that have concluded that it is somewhat of a design flaw, the ports and bluetooth antenna crammed in too close together.

After a year of troubleshooting this, here are my conclusions:
With none of the ports in use, BT is fine.

As you start to plug in devices, the BT problems show up gradually, and the BT range gets smaller and smaller until the mouse and keyboard don't work even within inches of the mac.
Then start to unplug TB and USB devices and the range and stability of BT returns.
I too saw that unplugging USB stuff seemed to be most effective, but I also saw that unplugging high performace things like SSDs had bigger impact than simpler stuff like MIDI devices.
Also, physical objects in the line between mac and device can have a big impact, as does the placement and position. I found that it was better placed on its side with the bottom facing out.

I now use only three of the ports:
1 USB for my Focusrite interface, 1 Thunderbolt for a slow backup SSD, and 1 for a TB hub with SSD, HDMI screen, and more USB hubs.
With lots of experiments on where to best place it, I now have Blutooth working good with my three sets of keyboard/mouse at different distances from the mac, up to 12 feet I guess, so it is possible.

I did try a windows-blutetooth dongle, didn't get it to work, some suggest changing the frequency of BT, didn't work for me. The only two solid workarounds for this are: 1 - Wired devices, and 2 - buy non-apple devices that have their own bluetooth dongle. They work perfectly fine.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:09 AM

wow, that really concerns me. I am in the process of installing all the software and hardware on my new Mac Pro 3.1 as to your suggestion.
Hope it works. really not sure what I"m going to do if it doesn't.

like you jfreak, at first it happened outside of protools at times. I fixed that by closing google and google helper. It hasn't lagged out side of prtools since then

If the mouse still lags on a new computer and fresh instal of everything; I'll post on the Apple support too
Old 08-31-2023, 09:31 AM

This is an old thread, but Ive been having problems in 2023.6, and it doesn't look like it's resolved.

I use Source Connect Now and Zoom to connect to VO artists, and have had jumpy mice for ages. I read the post about Chrome, and found that closing it fixes the lag, but Source Connect Now ONLY works in Chrome. If you turn the hardware acceleration off in the Chrome settings, it works properly.

Only took me a year to work that out...

Incidentally - if you use OBS to make a source for Zoom, then you need to disable the display preview, and if you use Zoom VirtualCamera, you need to turn hardware acceleration off there too - it's in the advanced section of the video prefs.