Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Can you confirm this bug; Audiosuite settings

Hi; idealscale asks to post here first to confirm the bug not just me, so if you could try:

1. Open an AVID audiosuite plugin like EQ-1 or INVERT

2. Set the plugin to CREATE INDIVIDUAL FILES and CLIP BY CLIP.

3. Leave the plugin open, save and close the session. Reopen the session.

When reopening the session, in v2018 the plugin will now be set to CREATE INDIVIDUAL FILES but will have switched to ENTIRE SELECTION and not clip by clip as it was left.

This doesn't seem to happen with most 3rd party plugins (which is weird since you'd think it would be tied to the Avid implementation of Audiosuite framework in the program). I've tried it with Vocalign, Izotope a bunch of WAVES stuff- those all stayed CLIP BY CLIP upon reopen.

Avid plugins (although oddly NOT reverse!!), Antares Plugins, SoundToys plugins and SPEAKERPHONE and FUTZBOX all exhibited the same "revert to ENTIRE CLIP" behavior on reopening...

If you could check your system and see if you get same results and post the version information of your system and PT, it would be appreciated.

Footnotes:
Computer Make and Model: Mac Pro 6,1 (Late 2013)
Operating System Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
CPU and Chipset: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 3.5 GHz 6 Core
Installed Memory: 64 GB
Other Hardware variables: External Sonnet Echo Express III Thunderbolt2 Chassis running Black Magic Intensity Pro and Pro Tools HDX cards. OWC Thunderbay 4 external drive array.
Installed version of Pro Tools : 2018.4.0 (but behavior was noted in 2018.1 as well)
Avid Audio Hardware : HDX, Omni, Artist Control
Old 05-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Can you confirm this bug; Audiosuite settings

Just did some testing on a similar setup to yours.
Late 2013 MacPro
macOS 10.12.6
PT Ultimate 2018.4
HDX3 - Sonnet Echo Express III
Thunderbay IV
Apogee Symphony mkI (x3)
SSL AWS948

I can confirm the behaviors you describe. The even weirder thing is that inside some bundles (i.e. Waves, Soundtoys) some plugins exhibit this behavior and some don't. In Soundtoys, Decapitator, Devil-loc, FilterFreak 1 & 2, all retained their clip by clip settings and Crystallizer, Echoboy, Little Plate, and PanMan would revert to Entire Selection. In Waves, (I didn't try every single plugin) API2500 mono, CLA76 mono, Doubler2 mono, would keep their settings, while the stereo instances of those same plugins would revert.

I thought I was onto something in that plugins that don't have the mono mode vs multi-input mode menu would always keep their settings, while most plugins that do have that menu would revert. That doesn't seem like a hard and fast rule, as some plugins that do have the mono vs multi-input menu would keep their clip by clip setting, such as Serato Pitch n Time Pro, Avid Reverse plugin. I do feel like it still might be related, however, as clip by clip requires that menu to be in mono mode.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:13 PM

Yep; I've been on the same track-- something about the Multi-input vs mono mode setting.

I'm wondering if they've added a flag to the audiosuite framework for a default position of mono vs multi, and so when loading some plugins are somehow showing a (unintentional?) default to multi-input mode and so it forces them to kick out of clip by clip (which would require mono mode). Just weird it would do something like this on a session load rather than only when the plugin was first loaded.

Thanks for taking a look; I had a friend confirm it DOESN'T do this in v12.7. I'm hoping to confirm if it happens on the PC side on v2018 too.

I have added the bug to ideascale, if any readers have a moment and would consider chiming in there with your experience or an upvote, it would be appreciated.
https://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd...18/309785-3779

Last edited by Maskeeper; 05-10-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:20 AM

Hello,
This bug is very frustruating. Anyone has found a solution or workaround?
Thanks
Simon
Old 08-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Nope; 2 years and like 10 releases later and this still has never be fixed or addressed.

I've filed it as a bug via the old ideascale; I also notified 2 plugin vendors whose plugins were affected by the bug and they assured me they would also report is as a bug in their developer accounts... still nada.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:16 AM

I tested with both plugins open and the EQ did revert to Entire Selection each time. Reverse came up as it was left every time.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-05-2021, 08:52 AM

Just an annual check in to confirm Avid has never addressed this, right?
Still super annoying. I'm trying to smooth a few Keyboard Maestro functions and this reverting to Entire Selection is really messing up my workflow.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:48 AM

Hi all!
I have the same issue. I started to notice it with RX Connect. In my workflow for Dialogue editing it is very important that this setting stays in Clip by Clip.
After some testing I saw that some plug-ins do remember the setting and others don't. Avid and other brands.
I opened a ticket with Avid for this, and after several exchanges of "basic" support responses i.e, delete preferences etc... This is their last response:
We don't have any reported bugs in regards to the clip-by-clip settings on plugins.
Have you tried reinstalling the Pro Tools?
So I am trying to get help from the community here ;-) Maybe something could change if you all opened a ticket about this.
I will send them this tread anyway.
Thanx!
Old 09-21-2021, 03:15 PM

That’s BS. I reported it all the way back in 2018 via ideascale — when i posted this originally and sent them this thread at least 3 times. I know the folks at sound toys reported it via the developers bug reporting system as well.

I filed another ticket years ago, once they dumped ideascale and I was told it was added as a bug with no timetable for it being fixed. Several of my coworkers did as well. I spoke directly to avid reps both via my job and at trade shows about this bug at length.

Please file it again!
http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation

Last edited by Maskeeper; 09-21-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:14 AM

Workaround :
Open the Audiosuite Plugins you like, set your preferences (in my case : izotope RX Denoise not set to default "fastest", but to "best"), save as Window Configuration.
Settings will stick.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060