Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 08-28-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Catalina Drivers for Avid Quartet?

I have the Avid-branded (black) Quartet connected to my dual-boot (Mojave/Catalina) trash-can Mac Pro. Currently my PT install is 2019.12U on the Mojave (10.14.6) side only which I use for editing and mixing, but just updated my Avid account to try 2020.5 on the Catalina (10.15.6) side, which I use for composing in Logic before switching over. My Quartet has been my interface since the beginning, and up till now hasn't had any issues. But whenever I tried to install the PT IO Control app it didn't take, in that I'd launch it but it wouldn't see the Quartet as a device to connect with. Multiple reinstalls gave the same result. But now since those installs attempts, whenever my computer goes to "sleep" the interface basically shuts down, causing a noticeable "pop" in my monitors (not loud but still noticeable) when it sleeps or wakes from sleep that wasn't there before my attempting the Control Panel install. This never happens on the Mojave side.

I guess my question is, should I even go forward with adding PT to my Catalina partition? My current situation is still working fine, but for convenience I was hoping to fully move to Catalina now that I've seen first-hand that 2020.5 on Catalina can finally handle the video-related stuff I need for work. Bonus points if anyone can help me detect that popping issue...
Old 08-28-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Catalina Drivers for Avid Quartet?

Didn't mention this before, re: pop in monitors. In order to "fully" use my Quartet in Logic on the Catalina side (mute/solo/record, etc.) I had to install EuControl. After I uninstalled IO Control Panel I didn't uninstall EuControl, could that be the source? But why would it pop in Catalina and not in Mojave if both sides have EuControl installed? Oh, the confusion...
Old 08-29-2020, 08:06 AM

The first thing to do is turn OFF all sleep functions as that will just make the quartet behave like you describe. PT and other DAW’s and interfaces doesn’t like sleep features and should never ever be initiated on a Music computer

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-29-2020, 12:14 PM

You are correct, my friend. I assumed I just had the display sleep function, but apparently "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option was also enabled in sys prefs; turning this off eliminated the popping.

Also, just out of curiosity, a few days ago I tried installing PT IO Control again after updated my Catalina drive to 10.15.7, and it worked like a champ! This is huge for me since I can now assign my headphones to a different output from my mains for VO work.

Now all I need is for Avid to fix the "bounce to QT" bug for Catalina and I'll be fully on-board...
Old 12-29-2020, 04:25 PM

Thanks for letting is know

Have a great week and a Really Happy New Covid free 2021.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-16-2021, 04:54 AM

Hi,

Is there any news regarding PT Duet on Catalina? I'm currently on Mojave but I really want to upgrade. Does it still work or is it unstable?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 11-16-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmanzzz View Post
Hi,

Is there any news regarding PT Duet on Catalina? I'm currently on Mojave but I really want to upgrade. Does it still work or is it unstable?

Thanks,

Rob
The Avid Duet and Quartet are end of life as of next month.
There has been no new update in 2 years.

I would contact Apogee, and see if they have a firmware build to revert it to an Apogee product. So you can use the Apogee IO software. (maestro) which looks identical to the Avid Protools IO

https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital....s/requests/new
Old 01-14-2022, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
The Avid Duet and Quartet are end of life as of next month.
There has been no new update in 2 years.

I would contact Apogee, and see if they have a firmware build to revert it to an Apogee product. So you can use the Apogee IO software. (maestro) which looks identical to the Avid Protools IO

https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital....s/requests/new
Thank's for the reply and sorry for the late reaction, not sure how the notification went past me.

I took the plunge to Catalina and the software and drivers kept working, so I'm okay for now. I will upgrade to an M1(X) Mac Mini when they'll be released this year but for now Catalina on my Mac Pro 5,1 is fine. The 'problem' is, is that I want to keep using my "Monitor / Control-knob" on my EUCON surfaces and the Duet with the Avid-software allows just that.