Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Default Pro Tools Problems.

Ok I am a guitarist who hasn't used Pro Tools at all in the last year. Don't ask! No, not that, I wasn't in prison or anything like that just been busy with other things

Anyway one of the things I have been doing recently is modifying/creating music for the above "other things" for vids I have been editing.

Now, one of the things I am trying to get working with VI plugins with ProTools and get it playing nicely with my MIDI keyboard. The problem is sometimes it works, but, most times it doesn't. Like for instance I have a number of plugins used for this purpose, but, I suppose one most people are familiar with is Mini Grand, so, I've created a track, stereo, instrument, and when done went to the insert thingy in the Mix window and added the Mini Grand plugin. Hit the record button to arm the track and for the most part nothing happens, sometimes changing the preset gets the MIDI keyboard working and I've had a couple of instances where restarting the computer also got everything working correctly and a couple of times where changing the plugin itself got everything working!?!

So, if someone could give me any advice at all I would be most grateful!

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Problems.

What OS?

How is the MIDI keyboard connected? USB or MIDI ports?

Is the correct MIDI input device chosen for the track?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
What OS?

How is the MIDI keyboard connected? USB or MIDI ports?

Is the correct MIDI input device chosen for the track?
Sorry I should've been more specific .

Right I'm using Windows 8.1. I looked at Windows 10 and didn't like the feel of it at all.

I'm using Pro Tools 11.2 mainly because the program won't upgrade properly from the dialog when Pro Tools loads itself up, I should manually upgrade. Hmmm, today is the first time I haven't had to have the Eleven Rack on when loading . Must be that Asio4all program that I downloaded.

The midi is connected via USB nothing has changed in that regards, it is the same as I had in my older projects that used a lot of keyboard style plugins. The MIDI device is an older Alesis Q49 - it wasn't the one I wanted but the only one I could get from an actual store. I did try setting the peripherals through the <Settings> menu but that resulted an a recurring error saying that is couldn't communicate with the device like every 10 seconds after closing the dialog very annoying.

As for "is the correct MIDI device chosen for the tracks" I've never been able to figure that out. I have no idea how that would work . With the help of a YouTube I was able to load four midi channels to use with the Xpand plugin, but, I haven't done that for a while and not with this project, I haven't gotten that far yet.

I wish I knew how to use PT better!

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM

If you have an Eleven Rack, why are you using ASIO4all when you should be using the Eleven Rack driver?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
If you have an Eleven Rack, why are you using ASIO4all when you should be using the Eleven Rack driver?
That an easy question to answer .

I was going to use PT and when loading PT told me that it something along the lines that it couldn't communicate with a particular driver I tried changing the settings in that box that appeared to use the 11R, but, that didn't work, so, I typed the error message into Google and the first response said that you should download and install Asio4all which I duly did. Of course, that didn't work . And then I read a few more responses down and one at the DUC and got the feeling that maybe I should re-download the 11R drivers, which got PT past that dialog, but, with a strange result, the ASIO4all was loading itself while that was going on. So, while that is working I have not decided to change anything.

So, the question might be would ASIO4all be culprit for the MIDI controller hardly ever working?

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
That an easy question to answer .

I was going to use PT and when loading PT told me that it something along the lines that it couldn't communicate with a particular driver I tried changing the settings in that box that appeared to use the 11R, but, that didn't work, so, I typed the error message into Google and the first response said that you should download and install Asio4all which I duly did. Of course, that didn't work . And then I read a few more responses down and one at the DUC and got the feeling that maybe I should re-download the 11R drivers, which got PT past that dialog, but, with a strange result, the ASIO4all was loading itself while that was going on. So, while that is working I have not decided to change anything.

So, the question might be would ASIO4all be culprit for the MIDI controller hardly ever working?
Have you turned off USB power saving in Windows Control Panel? That and maybe try a different USB cable.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you turned off USB power saving in Windows Control Panel? That and maybe try a different USB cable.
There is a setting for that .

Oh my goodness I just realized that might be the reason why the MIDI controller used to stop working in the past after being on for a certain amount of time. I thought that the poor former computer was being taxed to the max by Pro Tools 8 and stopped working!!!

-- edit --
I just changed those setting using "devmgmt.msc" - I'll see whether this makes a difference.

-- edit 2 --
With those changes PT would not play any sound at all thru the monitors, I'm assuming this was because of the Asio4all, so that program went bye-bye, and now have sound working again. MIDI controller appears to be playing nicely with PT. Of course, I realized immediately that I had lost the ability to turn on PT without 11R being on but at least I know why now - and that's always a good thing .

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 09-07-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM

Indeed, killing USB Power Management is a must. Beyond that, Peripherals is NOT where the midi keyboard needs to be setup. Go to(inside Pro Tools) Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. This is where the keyboard/controller needs to be setup. If its not there, create a new "instrument" and name it whatever you like("Alesis" without the quotes is as good as anything). The next 2 boxes for brand and model are not required. The Input Port is the crucial setting. For you, it would probably be something like Alesis Q49 USB[Emulated], but it should be an obvious choice on a short list

FWIW, on my rig, I use a Yamaha Motif, and lately I find I need to re-select it as the midi source from the Instruments box(go to View>Mix Window Shows>check Instruments) at the top of the strip in the MIX window BUT(great big BUT), since you have only 1 controller, by default, the Instrument Track will receive ALL, so you should be good to go(once Midi studio is set for your hardware).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Indeed, killing USB Power Management is a must. Beyond that, Peripherals is NOT where the midi keyboard needs to be setup. Go to(inside Pro Tools) Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. This is where the keyboard/controller needs to be setup. If its not there, create a new "instrument" and name it whatever you like("Alesis" without the quotes is as good as anything). The next 2 boxes for brand and model are not required. The Input Port is the crucial setting. For you, it would probably be something like Alesis Q49 USB[Emulated], but it should be an obvious choice on a short list

FWIW, on my rig, I use a Yamaha Motif, and lately I find I need to re-select it as the midi source from the Instruments box(go to View>Mix Window Shows>check Instruments) at the top of the strip in the MIX window BUT(great big BUT), since you have only 1 controller, by default, the Instrument Track will receive ALL, so you should be good to go(once Midi studio is set for your hardware).
Thanks greatly for your response! I did as you suggested and there was a Alesis thingy there in MIDI Studio, so I must've done something like that in the past, but, there was nothing in the Input Port so that is now fixed.

Cheers .

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 PM

And go back and get rid of ASIO4ALL and get a real Eleven Rack driver working. There is no reason you should not be able to do that.