Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-23-2021, 12:25 PM

Default To Kontakt or Not to Kontakt...

...that is the question! (Sorry, William)

A message popped up on my Faceback page alerting me to the fact that NI is offering Kontakt 6 at 1/2 price $199 for a limited time. So I'm wonder if I should. I already have so many good VI's, and hosting VI's such as: UVI with Falcon among others, E-W Quantum Leap, Omnisphere, and Reason. NOt too mention a few dozen other top notch VI's.

What do I gain with Kontakt 6?

Old 09-23-2021, 02:17 PM

Default Re: To Kontakt or Not to Kontakt...

It’s going to be about libraries more than Kontakt itself.
Many fine libraries and some require the full not free version of Kontakt.
Try the free Kontakt player.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:36 PM

Even the ones that "require" full version run the libraries (kind of), but only the full version takes advantage of scripting which is used for articulation changes. So yes, if you use Kontakt libraries you want to have a full version available.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
...that is the question! (Sorry, William)

A message popped up on my Faceback page alerting me to the fact that NI is offering Kontakt 6 at 1/2 price $199 for a limited time. So I'm wonder if I should. I already have so many good VI's, and hosting VI's such as: UVI with Falcon among others, E-W Quantum Leap, Omnisphere, and Reason. NOt too mention a few dozen other top notch VI's.

What do I gain with Kontakt 6?
Kontakt has by far the largest support in terms of third party library developers. That said, some of the big fish like East West, VSL, Orchestral Tools and Spitfire have moved to their own proprietary engines.

You can get Kontakt 6 for a lot less than $199 in the sale. Follow the instructions here at 10’07”. https://youtu.be/8MsH6fCQZHI basically you buy the crossgrade from a Kontakt Player instrument and you can get one of those free from some developers.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:55 AM

My motto is never buy the individual products unless you have a very good reason. Bundles are the way for the savvy. I've been using the old Kontakt as I was at KU11 waiting to upgrade. I have the new V13 waiting to install when the time is right. I'm hoping that is when the new Mac M1X arrives?

Either way, get the bundles and bundle upgrades if you want to save money, unless of course you are only using one or two products from a particular company?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I have had Kontakt free from some time and used it once in a while for a specific library it supports. I have so many great VI's and players now, and huge amount of sample libraries, I can't see what spending $199 US gets me other than some libraries specific to full Kontakt player. Right now the only libraries in that category that interest me at all are the ones from 8dio. But I'm not sure I want to spend $200 just so I can spend more $$ to have some of these libraries when I have so many others.

So, I am going to pass for now. Maybe after I upgrade my hardware system I'll reconsider. Again, thanks for all the helpful input everyone. You guys all ROCK!!!

Old 09-24-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Kontakt has by far the largest support in terms of third party library developers. That said, some of the big fish like East West, VSL, Orchestral Tools and Spitfire have moved to their own proprietary engines.

You can get Kontakt 6 for a lot less than $199 in the sale. Follow the instructions here at 10’07”. https://youtu.be/8MsH6fCQZHI basically you buy the crossgrade from a Kontakt Player instrument and you can get one of those free from some developers.

My gosh...there's just WAY too much stuff out there to keep up!