Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-20-2021, 12:25 PM

Default I have a new Dell (spec's inside) and need HEEELLLPPPP!!!!

Device name DESKTOP-0P92CTV
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Device ID 35CD5A25-5DC6-42CC-8C5E-DE5082079E29
Product ID 00325-82207-29566-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

When I install Pro Tools 10 it needs to restart. When it goes to restart, it doesn't come back on and I have to reset it back to factory settings. I used to be decent with this stuff, but I'm so far gone from dealing with these problems, that I'm just lost now! What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-20-2021, 04:26 PM

Default Re: I have a new Dell (spec's inside) and need HEEELLLPPPP!!!!

Pro Tools 10 is NOT supported on Windows 10. You may have luck using Compatibility Settings on the PT exe, but that's not guaranteed.

And, before you do any install, you may want to look into making images of a working system so you can get back to where you were if something goes wrong. Personally I use Macrium Reflect, but there are other good programs.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-21-2021, 05:43 AM

Here is a link to the Avid Pro Tools OS compatibility chart. Like The Weed said, PT 10 is not supported on Windows 10.

Pro Tools OS Compatibility Chart

System Details
Old 09-30-2021, 06:47 PM

Hm, well as the above posters say, OS incompatibility is probably going to be a problem. However, I run 11.3.1 on Windows 10 (with few problems, mostly relating to my interface driver) and the above linked table says they shouldn't be compatible so eh. Probably worth at least trying?

However
I wonder if what you are experiencing is this: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411117

I don't know if you meant that your computer isn't rebooting at all, but that's what I took it to mean since you said you had to reset to factory settings?

Anyway, some of those older Pro Tools installers, including PT11 which I use and quite likely PT 10 also insist on installing the PACE anti-piracy module which is what validates your license. Which sounds fine and dandy since you do need it to run PT, but the old version of PACE that comes with the old installers installs a file to the system that crashes Windows 10 on boot.

My computer has a Linux partition so I was able to boot it into Linux and delete the offending file from C: so Windows could boot again. But it's much easier to deal with if you delete it after the old version of PACE installs but before ever trying to reboot the computer.

So what you gotta do is install PT the usual way, then uninstall that old PACE, then reinstall the most recent version of PACE which I thiiiink you can do by installing the most recent version of the iLok manager.

Again, I don't know if this is your problem, but it is something you might run into. And this is assuming you can get PT 10 to run on Windows 10 of course.