Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Mastering - suite versus individual plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I know that but what I want when I'm mastering is to have a full cd's worth of music lined up ready to master in the order of play. I know Ozone can load 3rd party vst's but I can't find out if each track can have it's own set of plugins and ozone settings.
In Ozone, songs appear in different tabs and you can have different sets of modules for each tab. Ozone also auto-detect songs sections, it's then easy to navigate through different parts of the song. It probably has some more advantages that I'm not aware of.

It's a matter of workflow preference, you will achieve the same result either in PT or Ozone.

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 09-26-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
In Ozone, songs appear in different tabs and you can have different sets of modules for each tab. Ozone also auto-detect songs sections, it's then easy to navigate through different parts of the song. It probably has some more advantages that I'm not aware of.

It's a matter of workflow preference, you will achieve the same result either in PT or Ozone.
Thanks for the answer as the manual doesn't really say anything about my specific question. It's more about using the individual modules and not the program as a whole. I'm using regular Ozone and not the advanced version.

QAPLA!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:56 AM

To master multiple songs, I would import all the final mixes into a new Pro Tools session(on their own tracks). Mute all but one track. Insert Ozone on each track and run the Master Assistant on your first track. Once you're happy, mute that and go on to the next until all are done(almost). Then, set your SOLO to the X-OR setting so you can listen to all the songs while quickly switching between tracks(to make sure they sound consistent). Once you're really happy, use Track Commit to render everything.

OR: if your session is a higher sample rate/bit depth than 44.1K/16 bit and you want finals for CD burning, enable Dither on each Ozone and Bounce each in SOLO. BTW, if your sessions is already 44.1K/24 bit, you can simply export each clip to 16 bit and PT will automatically apply dither on the way.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
To master multiple songs, I would import all the final mixes into a new Pro Tools session(on their own tracks). Mute all but one track. Insert Ozone on each track and run the Master Assistant on your first track. Once you're happy, mute that and go on to the next until all are done(almost). Then, set your SOLO to the X-OR setting so you can listen to all the songs while quickly switching between tracks(to make sure they sound consistent). Once you're really happy, use Track Commit to render everything.

OR: if your session is a higher sample rate/bit depth than 44.1K/16 bit and you want finals for CD burning, enable Dither on each Ozone and Bounce each in SOLO. BTW, if your sessions is already 44.1K/24 bit, you can simply export each clip to 16 bit and PT will automatically apply dither on the way.
What you write in paragraph one is what I currently do in Wavelab Elements. I don't have to worry about bit depth/sample rate as WE takes care of all that on it's own. I like the simplicity of doing it there as I don't have to futz around with setting song intervals in PT and other things. Doing it in PT I'd still have to import everything into a Wavelab montage so why not do it all there?

Yeah I could master in Ozone but just like using PT to master I'd still have to import into WE.

QAPLA!
Old 09-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Whatever works for you is the best way to do it Which version of Elements do you have? I have 10, but still have not become proficient with it(I think I have burned 1 CD in the past 2 years)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-27-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Whatever works for you is the best way to do it Which version of Elements do you have? I have 10, but still have not become proficient with it(I think I have burned 1 CD in the past 2 years)
I have WE 10. Can't go to WE11 until I get a new video card. WE11 requires an operating system higher than High Sierra.

QAPLA!