How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-01-2021, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
I don't think that is quite true. I believe they apply to perpetual licenses of Pro Tools 12 and later. In other words Pro Tool licenses 8, 9, 10 and 11 could not be reinstated to get the latest Pro Tools.
I kind of agree with spinsong. Avid could release a completely new Pro Tools that is not compatible with any of the unused renewals or not yet active perpetual licenses. One that would be subscription only and would be the only version getting new features and updates. Yeah, you could activate your perpenual Ultimate license you’ve been saving 3 years from now, but it would only activate the old version not the new one. They could call it Pro Tools V Edition. The V stands for the small container of Vaseline that it comes with for when the pain is too much from being screwed

God, I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited by alberti1; 10-01-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: little less vulgar
Old 10-01-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberti1 View Post
I kind of agree with spinsong. Avid could release a completely new Pro Tools that is not compatible with any of the unused renewals or not yet active perpetual licenses. One that would be subscription only and would be the only version getting new features and updates. Yeah, you could activate your perpenual Ultimate license you’ve been saving 3 years from now, but it would only activate the old version not the new one. They could call it Pro Tools V Edition. The V stands for the small container of Vaseline that it comes with for when the pain is too much from being screwed in the

God, I hope I’m wrong. Vaseline gives me a rash.
Well anything is possible, but I would think it would not really make good business sense (just from a potential annual revenue standpoint) to cripple unused reinstatement of perpetuals , or un activated perpetuals. When potentially many of those people would then continue to renew the perpetual every year....

As I noted on another forum. As it stands currently Avid has the best of both the perpetual and subscription worlds::
#1 they have people renewing their current perpetuals every year.............................
#2 they have people renewing their subscriptions every year or every month .............
AND this promo gets people with expired perpetuals into yearly subscription.

Seems like from Avid's perspective it's a win, win, win ..........................................
Not sure why they would decide to upset that potential revenue stream apple cart ????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 10-01-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Well anything is possible, but I would think it would not really make good business sense (just from a potential annual revenue standpoint) to cripple unused reinstatement of perpetuals , or un activated perpetuals. When potentially many of those people would then continue to renew the perpetual every year....

Not sure why they would decide to upset that potential revenue stream apple cart ????
Are you new?
Old 10-01-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
Are you new?
Well I did not start with PT until 2003 and Version 5 or 6, so given the vast experience you must have to ask a such a sardonic question ,,,,,,you tell me, is that new ?

And of course I could be mistaken
But , I just don't see a big monetary upside for Avid crippling perpetuals any time soon. ( and I'm sure we agree Avid is in it, for the money)
Something I think more likely to happen is Avid at some point in the near future will stop selling new Perpetual licenses and start to selling only subscriptions licenses , but I don't think that will result in them dumping or crippling perpetual renewal, either ..... But we shall see

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 10-01-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post

As I noted on another forum. As it stands currently Avid has the best of both the perpetual and subscription worlds::
#1 they have people renewing their current perpetuals every year.............................
#2 they have people renewing their subscriptions every year or every month .............
AND this promo gets people with expired perpetuals into yearly subscription.

Seems like from Avid's perspective it's a win, win, win ..........................................
Thanks K Roche, I see what you’re saying and I hope that’s the case. PT hasn’t been my main DAW since 2011. I tried to keep it updated over the years but lost it at the end of 2019. Lately I’ve been wanting to get back into PT but Avid made that a bit difficult. I would have happily reinstated my perpetual if I could. I even rolled back my Mac Mini to Mojave so I could run PT 2019.10 again. I’ve been using Logic since version 2.5 and tried other DAWs, but there’s something about Pro Tools that’s so intuitive when working with audio. It’s so strait forward and not convoluted with a bunch of nonsensical features in your way. I wouldn’t mind if they just put their focus on bug fixing, stability, and performance rather than new features.

So, several posts back there was a mention about the $99 promo, that said it could be activated at any time? Is that really the case, or does it get activated when you purchase it? And does anyone know if the standard license with the perpetual parachute that comes with the Carbon can be activated at a later date? The FAQ states that the free Ultimate can which I think I posted earlier.

Last edited by alberti1; 10-01-2021 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2021, 04:33 PM

Here goes. Perpetual extension for vanilla 199.00. Plugs subscription 49.99. Heat 499.00. Annual subscription all inclusive 299.00 This promo. 99.00. You do the math

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
Here goes. Perpetual extension for vanilla 199.00. Plugs subscription 49.99. Heat 499.00. Annual subscription all inclusive 299.00 This promo. 99.00. You do the math

I think we all do the math, but even if it cost 50 I wouldn't go subscription and let the perpetual lapse.

The math, at least for me, is to let the plan lapse, freeze the system for 6 years and after that see where Avid is heading and take a decision.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:50 PM

Default Promo for perpetual license holders

I jumped on the subscription even though my perpetual didn’t lapse. I’m way ahead having a year into a 299.00 subscription for 99.00. I get to toy around with heat and inner circle plugs, and if I decide to cut the subscription I could always bring up an newly changed session on a monthly subscription for additional changes. I always have the old perpetual to fall back on. In addition, it sounds like you’re contradicting yourself. In one sentence you’re saying you wouldn’t let your perpetual lapse, and in the next sentence you’re saying you’d let it lapse for six years.

Old 10-02-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I think we all do the math, but even if it cost 50 I wouldn't go subscription and let the perpetual lapse.

The math, at least for me, is to let the plan lapse, freeze the system for 6 years and after that see where Avid is heading and take a decision.

Old 10-02-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
I jumped on the subscription even though my perpetual didn’t lapse. I’m way ahead having a year into a 299.00 subscription for 99.00. I get to toy around with heat and inner circle plugs, and if I decide to cut the subscription I could always bring up an newly changed session on a monthly subscription for additional changes. I always have the old perpetual to fall back on.
Yup. That's the truth of it. Logic, no feelings. I feel the same way.