Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Default Clip Effects Display issue (2022.12, Windows 11)

Since updating to 2022.12 on Windows 11 I've noticed that I'm unable to see realtime changes in the clip effects area. For example, if I want to turn on the low pass filter for a clip, the change isn't displayed when I enable the lowpass filter, but I can hear the change. Closing and reopening the clip effects area then shows the lowpass is active.

The opposite also happens. After closing and opening the clip effects area to see changes I've made to one clip, the setting shown for the selected clip when initially opening will remain static, even when new clips are selected. I have to close and reopen clip effects in order to see the settings for the any selected clip.

Hopefully this makes sense!

It's very similar to the track comments bug that has existed FOREVER in windows. On the edit window you can't see what you're typing in the comments area until you press return.

I really wish Avid would pay more attention to us windows users. I'm using windows for the stability and CPU power availabe, but there are several little bugs like this that get overlooked for extended periods of time. This OS doesn't drastically change every year, so shouldn't it be easier to make sure things like this get fixed?

Is this happening for anyone else? If so, have you found a fix? I'm going to contact support about this now to make sure they're aware.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Clip Effects Display issue (2022.12, Windows 11)

Hey bro

I just found you question about this book on web today after many hours of research.
I'm also having this problem, already tried to reinstall pro tools, to check options inside the software and I could not find how to solve it.
I'll keep looking for a resolution for that, as soon I get it I'll post it here.
I am working on a short film doing sound design and without CLIP EFFECTS my workflow goes down the drain, I also use windows and it really pisses me off to see the disregard for our version.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:38 PM

Hey all,

I am having the same problem (also PT 2022.12.0 and Windows 11). Bummed we're having an issue, but nice to know I'm not the only one!

I created a support case with Avid on January 13 and have been e-mailing back and forth with a support agent. I also sent them a video of the problem, per their request.

Their first troubleshooting advice was to reset the Pro Tools preferences folder, but that did not solve the problem. Thank you, gabrielwm2, for letting us know you tried reinstallation (I am using a recent installation of Windows and Pro Tools, myself, and did not want to have to do it again. Thank you for saving me the trouble!)

Today they said it sounds like a lag issue and wanted me to try increasing my disk cache (Pro Tools > Playback Engine > Disk Cache > Toggle between 12-16GB) and then test it using ASIO4All and Built-In Output as my playback engine.

I have not tried these latest two suggestions because this is not a lag issue, imho. Here is my reasoning:
1) I have not noticed any problems with any other programs on my computer.
2) I have not encountered any other features of Pro Tools that are not operating as they should be.
3) The specifications of my computer are well beyond the minimum requirements to run Pro Tools.
4) The sessions I am working on are just a few tracks and the system usage window in Pro Tools shows that my current session is barely using any of my computer's available RAM or CPU resources.
5) I found both of you who are having the exact same issue.

Crossing my fingers for a solution soon!
Old 02-01-2023, 07:15 PM

Support was useless! I ended up uninstalling 2022.12 and installed 2022.10. It works as it should now.

Please contact support to let them know this is happening to you, it if you haven't already. They seemed to think I was the only one with this issue, as usual.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:52 PM

Clip Effects Display is working as expected here.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
Support was useless! I ended up uninstalling 2022.12 and installed 2022.10. It works as it should now.

Please contact support to let them know this is happening to you, it if you haven't already. They seemed to think I was the only one with this issue, as usual.
I use 2022.12 and haven't seen this. Did you try the usual trashing of prefs? In my experience, these actions will usually prevent unexpected behavior in PT:

1. Run sfc /scannow
2. Run dism
2. Run error-checking on all drives.

I do this maybe once a week. Running these commands and then trashing prefs will most times correct strange behavior in PT when that behavior wasn't there before. I would also do a clean uninstall of PT and remove leftover traces before installing a new version.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:10 AM

I have the same situation with Windows 10. Everytring seems to work perfect after Protoos 2022 latest update install. But the clip effect changes are not displayed. I can hear the change but isn’t displayed. I tried the cache thing to 3Gb, restarted Protools and the problem was “solved”.. but when close the sesion and open another session, the problem persits… Hope can find a solution.. i think clip effects can be usable for certain things like phase invert etc…
Old 03-13-2023, 04:42 PM

Clip effects is broken here as well on 2022.12 under Windows 10. I can't change anything in the Clip Effects interface, though it seems to respond several seconds later, without showing any graphical update.

I tried uninstalling and installing 2022.10 but ProTools wouldn't start, saying it was missing an AAX file. Reinstalled 2022.12 - same problem.

Clip effects are unusable here. Hopefully this gets fixed soon - too busy to try and solve the 2022.10 problem to circumvent this bug.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Re: Clip Effects Display issue (2022.12, Windows 11)
Hey all,

I am having the same problem (also PT 2022.12.0 and Windows 11). Bummed we're having an issue, but nice to know I'm not the only one!

I created a support case with Avid on January 13 and have been e-mailing back and forth with a support agent. I also sent them a video of the problem, per their request.

Their first troubleshooting advice was to reset the Pro Tools preferences folder, but that did not solve the problem. Thank you, gabrielwm2, for letting us know you tried reinstallation (I am using a recent installation of Windows and Pro Tools, myself, and did not want to have to do it again. Thank you for saving me the trouble!)

Today they said it sounds like a lag issue and wanted me to try increasing my disk cache (Pro Tools > Playback Engine > Disk Cache > Toggle between 12-16GB) and then test it using ASIO4All and Built-In Output as my playback engine.

I have not tried these latest two suggestions because this is not a lag issue, imho. Here is my reasoning:
1) I have not noticed any problems with any other programs on my computer.
2) I have not encountered any other features of Pro Tools that are not operating as they should be.
3) The specifications of my computer are well beyond the minimum requirements to run Pro Tools.
4) The sessions I am working on are just a few tracks and the system usage window in Pro Tools shows that my current session is barely using any of my computer's available RAM or CPU resources.
5) I found both of you who are having the exact same issue.

Crossing my fingers for a solution soon!
Seeing that you have the same issue as mine I have tried increasing the disk cache and all is working in real time now!
Hope it helps
Old 03-30-2023, 10:13 AM

I've had this problem for a little while now on both Windows 10 and a newly upgraded Windows 11 machine. I've done everything suggested in this post and have had no help from Avid support.

So I was thinking what else could it be...I work in post and rarely need to use melodyne essential so I've never activated it. Since it's part of the clip window I was wondering if that could be the issue. I went ahead and activated melodyne essential and that fixed the issue for me. Stupid bug that probably popped up when they incorporated ARA and melodyne. Try it out if you haven't and see if that solves the issue.