Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools on Linux/Unix

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

-- Henry Ford
Old 11-28-2022, 01:42 PM

I was able to install ProTools 10.3.10 using crossover in Ubuntu studio. I’m still having issues with it recognizing the eye lock but I think I might be able to figure it out. I’ve never gotten his clothes before. I had to do custom Wine configuration, and install mini libraries, fonts, etc. it’s been a game of trial and error, but I’m determined to make it work.

I should also know that it only works with a valid license, the cracked version will not work. I have a perpetual license for versions 10 through 12.5.2 as well as the subscription for the new Pro Tools studio. Haven’t tried that one yet in Linux. I did try 12.5.2 which did not work, however I didn’t put as much effort into it as I did with 10.3.10.

Given that Apple’s Logic is Avid’s main competitor, and most serious ProTools users prefer the Mac platform, there is a clear conflict of interest between the two companies. It would be a smart business decision, I think, for Avid to port ProTools over to Linux and even sell their own custom machines with special version of Ubuntu Studio, or something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
not only plug ins but also drivers for 3rd party hardware, unless you only use included Avid plug ins and Avid only hardware. Also just because Apple or MS has a software update doesn't mean you have to update.

Actually, most interfaces nowadays are plug-and-play with Mac & Linux. My Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 does not require drivers for either OS. With windows, on the other hand, it does, in order to work with full functionality

Old 11-28-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslinn View Post
If one defines a market by measuring current sales, then there is no market because there is no SDK support. No SDK support means that products requiring the SDK cannot be created. Thus, according to that definition of "market", there is no market, nor could there ever be.

The same logic could have been applied to Pro Tools before it was created. Before the first version of Pro Tools was created, there was no market because there were no sales. Thus, by that definition of "market", Pro Tools itself should not exist today.

Please keep in mind that AAX plugins are written in C++, and would merely need to be recompiled with a Linux version of the AAX library to support Linux. Linux has a lower barrier of entry for software developers because, unlike Windows and Mac, the compilers and libraries necessary to build programs are free and open source.

This same argument has been made against Linux by various vendors for years, with a wide variety of outcomes. Some vendors (Adobe Flash, for example) have vacillated on Linux support. Some vendors (BlackMagic, for example) provide Linux support. In the last two years, Microsoft switched from "Linux is the devil's work" to "We are the 2nd biggest provider of Linux, behind Google Android", Linux has considerably more opportunity than ever before. (Android is a Linux distro).

Pro Tools sells to professionals, and professionals require reliable and high-performance tools. No-one claims that Windows is more reliable than Linux, or that Windows outperforms Linux. That is why Linux is the most common OS for servers in datacenters. Windows is very rare in data centers.

The past does not dictate the future. Technology and markets continuously evolve. Opportunities come and go. The Linux market opportunity has changed a lot in the last 2 years.

OK that would make sense why I was able to get ProTools 10.3.10 working somewhat through Crossover in Ubuntu studio. Probably because it still uses RTAS. I’m going to try it without loading the explosions at all and see if I can get it to fully work now

Old 11-28-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Not to mention, does anyone only use PT on their computer? No other 3rd party software?

Not me. I use LOADS of other apps on my studio machine.

Are used to. And I want to go back to it because it was so much smoother that way and safer. Especially when I have a multi boot system with older versions of software, etc. Right now I have too much running on my machine