Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 AM

Default Subscription for Carbon driver?

So there’s a whole lot of good and meh and unknown in the Carbon box, but I’m thinking about one thing mostly right now. Love the speed and the Ethernet interface. Wish it weren’t a proprietary flavor of another format than a broad standard (Dante).

So I use CoreAudio to connect Cubase and Logic and whatever else to my HDX/HDIO. Works fine. But I also pay for software updates, so I get updated HD drivers every so often.

If I let my subscription lapse and want to use Cubase only, isn’t it the case that if OS’s get updated that I might lose functionality of my interface unless I pay a subscription fee?

Also: does the onboard DSP do anything for the latency incurred by using VI’s and having to go back and forth between the hardware DSP and the host stuff? Won’t it really only benefit in large VI sessions in mixing scenarios (as opposed to real-time playback) when used on master busses etc.?

And aren’t we due for a great (I said great, not TL Space) convolution early reflection plugin that runs on HDX? Altiverb used to do it but stopped their support with HDX. I think they hadn’t realized how useful super-low-latency DSP-powered placement via IR’s would be.

Carbon is sort of feeling like a dongle situation. I mean, I know that when using any other daw I would lose use of the HDX DSP, and that’s because they don’t hang software in front of the daw like UA does. I wish they did - but I guess it’s not in their interest to do so - and their plugins won’t work in Cubase, of course. So at that point it would be just a good IO, which is great if one can still access all of the IO via CoreAudio.

Thoughts? Anyone from Avid that can comment about the driver software requiring a subscription?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Subscription for Carbon driver?

Avid Carbon behaves like a Core Audio interface discovered via Mac Audio MIDI setup -> "Network Device Browser". No driver required / class complaint.

Included license is for Pro Tools (for a new user without a license) and registration of Carbon (for warranty which can be extended to 3 years).

Check this video for a better explanation -> https://youtu.be/lZOfxOcTgH8
Old 11-13-2020, 01:12 PM

I could be missing something here, but they don’t say class-compliant unless I missed it, and if it requires the latest software before use, couldn’t that be installing software, say, that differentiates between ProTools only and the general CoreAudio connection and provides AudioMIDI setup targets for both? Sorry to nitpick - just haven’t seen it called class-compliant elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 01:30 PM

The devil is in the details and there may be details here that would be good for Avid to clarify about this box working after the initial support period or with other DAWS (yes even though it's clearly a Pro Tools focused product).

e.g. Are there aspects of the box that needs any software based configuration e.g. via Pro Tools>Setup>Hardware that you can't do from the front panel or can't do easilly? Can non Pro Tools users ever update firmware? Do you get firmware updates "for free" in perpetuity as long as you have any Pro Tools license to connect to the box? What is Avid's actual claim for third party DAW support, if you contact Avid support asking about problems with other DAWs what support will they give (and Avid support quality at the moment is a serious concern to me, maybe the number one reason I'd not by any interface hardware from them). What is the end of life date on this product? How long should purchasers expect to get firmware and any other software updates? etc.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
just haven’t seen it called class-compliant elsewhere.
You are correct, it's not mentioned as such. The reason I used the term "class-compliant" is because AVB protocol is natively supported by Mac OS and not supported by Windows OS (which explains why Carbon is Mac-only at the moment). Also the instructions to setup Carbon don't mention any drivers to be installed (like Avid HD drivers).

Instead the instructions are "Connect Carbon via Ethernet (or with thunderbolt with Ethernet adapter), use Audio MIDI Setup (part of Mac OS), discover Carbon via "Network Device Browser".. and that's it - Mac OS sees Carbon as another audio interface (all inputs / outputs appear in the Audio MIDI Setup) and can be used by Mac OS apps (except HDX DSP would be only usable in Pro Tools)
Old 11-14-2020, 06:30 AM

I might be really interested in this box but would also want to know If it will useable with both other DAWs and also play audio for things like YouTube and SoundCloud etc.

Someone mentioned "behaves like a Core Audio" great,,,, except for almost 3 years AVID HD hardware "Core Audio" did not function with other DAWs . And I would have no interest in returning to those Ridiculous Days .

Also I am bit confused does Carbon use HD Ultimate software, regular PT (given it has no surround capability )? Or is it a 3rd software altogether ?
I currently have a permanent HD Ultimate license due for renewal Jan.30 2021
So much to learn

Also I wonder why it has no AES connection like my OMNI, because I prefer having my Bricasti M7 connected digitally ...... oh well

Also apparently what Avid forgot to mention clearly and unambiguously , in the promos and current literature, is the fact that it has only 8 channels of A/D conversion, meaning that the DB 25 analog connection is a mirror of the 8 channels of mic/line connection, and while you can have up to 16 channels of analog connections made , you can only use 8 at a time. While back diagram does show that the DB 25 connection channels are numbered 1-8 and it mentions "true bypass" but honestly that is a bit vague

So it appears he software that comes with the Carbon interface is regular PT with a "parachute". ha

Ok I just found out on a vendors site Not Avid the FAQ about Carbon and frankly it appears as if does not bode well for those of us that already own PT or Ultimate license with a current update plans ,

https://www.fullcompass.com/common/f...ONFAQSheet.pdf

So it looks like the only way to get both the additional plugins offered with the new Carbon included PT software and keep things from my current HDN license like Avid Complete Plugin Bundle, UVI Falcon, and Heat is to renew two licenses each year

So once again long term loyal customers will get the most thorough screw job. Really smooth Avid .....
I don't know I have been a loyal customer since 2003 and love PT work flow and UI BUT maybe it's time to just s**t can Avid and PT altogether get the $600 PreSonus Quantum 2626 26x26 Thunderbolt 3 Audio SUB 1 ms interface and use Studio One ....... Man I hate this crap ,,, come on Avid you can do better

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-14-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:00 AM

All the answers are already in Avid Carbon FAQ -> https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...FAQ/Carbon-FAQ

As per the FAQ, since I have a permanent Pro Tools license, when registering Carbon I would choose to "Extend Updates & Support" of my existing license (not ultimate, not another 3rd piece of software)

Also as per the FAQ: "because Pro Tools | Carbon utilizes the core audio driver for connecting into Pro Tools, other applications can simultaneously use Carbon as an interface"
Old 11-14-2020, 12:32 PM

Carbon does not require Ultimate software and does not support surround(even with Ultimate software AFAIK).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
All the answers are already in Avid Carbon FAQ -> https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...FAQ/Carbon-FAQ

As per the FAQ, since I have a permanent Pro Tools license, when registering Carbon I would choose to "Extend Updates & Support" of my existing license (not ultimate, not another 3rd piece of software)

Also as per the FAQ: "because Pro Tools | Carbon utilizes the core audio driver for connecting into Pro Tools, other applications can simultaneously use Carbon as an interface"
So it appears that it will play third party applications like YouTube etc. as it should and that's good ...

But it also appears (as I noted) that if you choose option #2 Your "existing plan" what you won't get are additional 3rd party bundled plugins available in the "special version "software that comes with Carbon. And the only way to do that is to choose option #1 and keep your existing and then have keep renewing both . Or am I not reading that correctly ?
Also I note that there is no mention of what the renewal price would be for just opting for the bundled software ??

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-15-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Those plugin licenses can be bought for a song on Plugin Alliance during sales. They don't add up to that much.