Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM

Default Sales statistics for Windows vs Macintosh

Hello,

I'd REALLY like to see new statistics regarding the usage and adoption of Pro Tools on Windows and Macintosh.

Digidesign, can you please publish some of these numbers?

When people register their software, what percentage of people choose "Windows" and what percentage choose "Macintosh"? (Can we see an annual record?)

What percentage of seasoned users are still using Macintosh? (What percentage of them are switching?)

What percentage of new users are using Pro Tools on Windows? Macintosh?

Where's the major "growth" happening? In the Windows userbase? Or the Macintosh userbase?

Any stats you can share in this regards will be very helpful.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Sales statistics for Windows vs Macintosh

I'd say it's about a 15.7:1 Mac to Windows ratio for Pro Tools HD users, a 1.2:1 Windows to Mac ratio for Pro Tools HD users, and a 1.6:1 Windows to Mac ratio for Pro Tools M-Powered users.

I based this on numbers of postings in the various categories on the DUC.

Maths....
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the input. Perhaps there's some truth in your estimation.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 AM

I think that gives a vague indication, however I'd take it with a spoonfull of salt...

I think more Windows users experience problems than Mac users. This could potentially skew the results. Remember that the majority of people come here to discuss a problem, not to talk about features etc!

I think in the Pro World, the usage is around 80% Mac based.

In the consumer world, it is much more evenly spread. I'd say 60% Windows and 40% Mac.

In the education sector it is almost solidly PC (in the UK at least when referring to schools). Probably 90% are PC based.

I have nothing to base these figures on other than my own meandering experiences. I wouldn't expect Digidesign to publish these figures - but then maybe they would!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 AM

Thanks pezking. Your estimations don't surprise me.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
I think that gives a vague indication, however I'd take it with a spoonfull of salt...

I think more Windows users experience problems than Mac users. This could potentially skew the results.
weird, i've been watching mac and windows forums for years it seems they both equally have many many problems. just seems buggy on both platforms. nothing official just observations on the duc.
i'm starting to think that this whole" RUNS BETTER ON A MAC " is just a myth
for the non believers, go look at the mac forum. just as many problems as the pc forum.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9blade View Post
weird, i've been watching mac and windows forums for years it seems they both equally have many many problems. just seems buggy on both platforms. nothing official just observations on the duc.
i'm starting to think that this whole" RUNS BETTER ON A MAC " is just a myth
for the non believers, go look at the mac forum. just as many problems as the pc forum.
You may be correct, I don't know for sure and certain. I'm just going by what I see on a day to day basis

I think that the size of the user base affects the number of problems. The type of problems experienced are vastly different too.

I'd say that because of the fact that more pro users are on mac, they report more problems (numerically), and also more obscure problems. But percentage-wise, I have seen a greater amount of Windows based problems.

When it comes to compatibility it's plain to see that purchasing a Mac is far easier than purchasing a PC but that's just the nature of the beast. That's not to say that Digidesign are prefering Mac to PC (which many people infer from this).
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Read this thread about Avid hiring new senior and principal engineers:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=247850

I may have inadvertently posted this to the wrong thread
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks

Last edited by deanguidry; 06-11-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: substantive edit
Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanguidry View Post
Read this thread about Avid hiring new senior and principal engineers:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=247850
I've already read that thread and it seems to have little to do with the topic...
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Exclamation Re: Sales statistics for Windows vs Macintosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
I've already read that thread and it seems to have little to do with the topic...

Shills on the Internet

In online discussion media, satisfied consumers or "innocent" parties may express specific opinions in order to further the interests of an organization in which they have an interest, such as a commercial vendor or special-interest group. Websites may also be set up for the same purpose. For example, an employee of a company that produces a specific product may praise the product anonymously in a discussion forum or group in order to generate interest in that product, service or group. In addition, some shills use sock puppetry where they sign on as one user soliciting recommendations for a specific product or service. They then sign on as a different user pretending to be a satisfied customer of a specific company.
In some jurisdictions and circumstances this type of activity may be illegal. In addition, reputable organizations may prohibit their employees and other interested parties (contractors, agents, etc.) from participating in public forums or discussion groups in which a conflict of interest might arise, or will at least insist that their employees and agents refrain from participating in any way that might create a conflict of interest.
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks