Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-13-2022, 02:26 AM

Default Useless volume automation makes S1 sound like a popcorn kettle

Hi guys!

I wonder if anyone has sage advice for me:

When editing dialogue I drag clips up and down on different tracks constantly to tidy up the session and reduce the insane amount of tracks from the editor to a more manageable amount. And doing edits and volume automation at the same time.

I usually don't really need the mixer until I am nearing the end of the job. All volume adjustments are done with the mouse. It's just sooo much quicker for the small and very precise stuff.

The problem is that in the end there are an insane amount of volume jumps on empty tracks, which makes the mixer kick the faders up and down like crazy. I often just turn the mixer off to avoid the racket.

But then when I start to need it for bigger picture adjustments the S1 sounds like a barrel falling down the stairs or something. Very noisy.

Is there a quick way to make PT remove all volume automation where there are no audio clips? Select entire tracks and choosing convert or coalesce volume automation to will fix this, but I was hoping to not have to "render" the volume changes into the clip gain.

I just want to clear out all volume automation that is between clips.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Useless volume automation makes S1 sound like a popcorn kettle

You can coalesce to clip gain and then convert it back to volume automation. The volume automation will only write to the clip length, in between will be 0dB. This is only useful if you didn't have clip gain to begin with as the fader only goes up +12dB and clip gain +32dB.

Another option is to duplicate all your tracks without clips or automation, make sure to duplicate from a neutral automation position or it writes the settings at your cursor to the entire length of the new track, and copy all clips with the object tool to the empty tracks. The object tool copy will only copy automation from the clip lenghts instead of the entire selection.

Or switch to using clip gain breakpoints for general leveling and surgical work and leave the faders at 0 for when you start mixing. It requires some adaptation but I prefer it very much.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:02 AM

Thanks! Gotta admit I was unfamiliar with the object tool.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post

Or switch to using clip gain breakpoints for general leveling and surgical work and leave the faders at 0 for when you start mixing. It requires some adaptation but I prefer it very much.
This x100 !!!

Franky
Old 12-13-2022, 07:03 AM

I agree that Clip Gain is the way to go for roughing in dialog levels, and for surgical volume edits, during the dialog editing stage. But another option, if you already have extensive edits to volume automation and coalescing to clip gain might be problematic (downstream dynamics already in place), is to put the channels into trim mode. This will put all the faders at 0 and only write Delta values.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:32 AM

Yes to all the above suggestions. Personally I never write auto while editing. Clip gain only. And as handy as clip gain breakpoints are I usually prefer the split the clip if I need to adjust within one clip. So I don't wonder why something sounds funny when I'm mixing later. Gives me a visual indication quickly. (I don't like showing clip gain lines)
Old 12-13-2022, 10:49 PM

The old school (aka John Purcell ones) says "no plugins, no volume - just editing" for the the dialogs.
This way I still prefer to get the material from my dialog editor.
So at the end I have a DX session with almost zero automation points.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24