How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 06-19-2023, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Communication problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO View Post
Well, finally I had the same error again, but I could close Protools and restart both Mac and Carbon, relaunch and it worked good yesterday afternoon and today.This look like a random software/firmware problem, I reopened the case with Avid, they said that some people got the same thing, will see what they say now....
Hey - I am wondering how you got this issue solved as I am encountering the same thing!
Old 06-20-2023, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRiver View Post
Hey - I am wondering how you got this issue solved as I am encountering the same thing!
Hello Well this issue didn't show up since about 4 months without changing anything on my system, I'm still on 2022.12...... if you updated to 2023.3 or .6 it could be again a Carbon FW issue, anyway you should open a ticket.Please let us know how it goes.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:19 AM

I am wondering if maybe "Reseting" to the default firmware and then relaunching PT (which will force the Carbon to reload the new PT version FW ) might solve the issue ? The procedure to Reset to default FW is found on page 15 of the Carbon Manual

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-20-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am wondering if maybe "Reseting" to the default firmware and then relaunching PT (which will force the Carbon to reload the new PT version FW ) might solve the issue ? The procedure to Reset to default FW is found on page 15 of the Carbon Manual
Yes you're right , it's something to try When I had this however it didn't solve the problem.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:40 AM

I will admit that AVB seems much more flaky than USB or TB, and Pro Tools behaves really badly when it loses connection to the assigned interface, which other DAWs are less fussy about.....
but....

I still think the most likely candidates for causing this problem are
1) cabling (faulty or just loose)
2) sleep / inactivity timeouts

The only time I've had this problem while a session was up was when I'd put my external screen to sleep. I have everything else on the Mac set to "don't sleep" and I also run Caffeinate all the time, but I still think I get a power glitch when waking the big screen up and that was enough to kill off the connection to the Carbon, which was enough to ruin the PT session. Only a reboot fixed it, which is also odd.

I'd definitely log a case with Avid, they need to know that this still isn't reliable, for whatever reason.

Dominic