Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 11:49 PM

Default 7401, access violation, memory problems

please help anyone. i have a windows system running. recently, a friend of mine emailed me a session (he was using 7.1, and i was using 7.3.1), and since i opened it i have been having problems. I am working on the session, and half the time i load it i get a 7401 error. if i restart the computer (sometimes i just need to reopen pro tools) it works. i also get errors about not being able to use plugins due to insufficient resources. sometimes i click the plugin, and it opens a blank screen. i have 2 gigs of ram, and have never had any issues until now. 2 days ago i installed 7.4, and the same thing happens. i am new to windows, and am not sure if it is a memory setting? i have read that i should have the max and min in virtual memory set to 3000, and some places said to keep it low, and some places said to turn it off. could this be my problem? what should it be set at? the only other thing i noticed, is that he gave me a sansamp plugin that is having some trouble. on his system, it seems to work, but acts a little weird. on my system, when you click the plugin it looks blurred and crooked. could this one plugin be the cause of my problems? any ideas would be helpful, i am a mac guy and just don't know my way around xp errors. thanks for your help!

my system-

lenovo amd dual core 2.1 ghz
2gig ram
pro tools le 7.4
digi 002 rack
windows xp service pack 2
250 gig boot drive
500 gig recording drive

i am confused if it is a plugin, or a memory issue. the errors that come up point to memory, yet a month ago i was running sessions with 32 tracks going, buttloads of plugins, and no errors. now its 16 tracks, maybe 12 or 13 plugins, and errors every 10 minutes. at one point, two tracks made no sound, files were there, but made no sound. reimported them, and works great. unstable systems drive me batty, but no money for a nice new mac.

thanks again in advance!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 AM

Default Re: 7401, access violation, memory problems

I have the exact same problems now on Windows 7, PT8. Its driving me insane and I have a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] load of work to catch up on and now I can't finish mixing because my plugins keep loading blank! and then i get "Pro Tools is Low on Memory" when before it was not. I am also geting various 7401 errors when I try to add more plug ins. I also keep getting a load of assertion errors.. I moved from XP/PT7 because this new set up was a lot stabler for a while but over time it seems to deteriorate. I also get occasional lock ups and computer restarts with the error MEMORY_MANAGEMENT , this can point to faulty RAM aparently but I tested it today and it was fine. Im only at about 30% CPU Usage with a 512 buffer and one VI, Superior Drummer 2.0. Liiifeee.

Just tried opening a session and clicking play -
"Pro Tools is Low on Memory"
<OK>
play again..
<Assertion in "..\Mdie_TrackPlayer.cpp", line 469
every time I start playback, that error comes up and the session will not play.
Try to load a plug in (PAZ Frequency) - The plug-in could not be made active because a DAE error was enouctered (error #-7401)

anyone else having these problems?

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Avid

We're going to need more info to be able to help you, starting with a Sandra report - information on how to generate one can be found in the General Troubleshooting thread.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Well I figured out today, its only one session that seems to have these traits. We recorded more vocals on other unmixed sessions and it was fine. It seems that something happened to that session that corrupted it in some way, so I will try an import session data... to fix it and if it still won't work, i will post more info

Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 AM

for anyone who cares.. the three sessions which are crashing I managed to get working in a rediculously long-winded way. I first went back to version 7.4cs3 and managed to open the files but was now getting errors with Superior Drummer, it would start up but was just giving out feedback, through to all my auxes which I had set up. OUCH.

Anyways after ages fighting with that, I couldnt get superior drummer to work until out of the blue it decided to work. After I saved my session and came back I was back where I started. So I went back to PT8 and back to "Pro Tools has stopped working". The more annoying thing, every time I got errors trying to open things, I had to reset my computer as it would lock up, or lay dormant in task manager meaning it was impossible for me to restart normally. Then tried importing session data, but as it imported the tracks it would still throw me the same errors (freezing, or Pro Tools Has Stopped Working) . Anyways my last resort was to import track by track and for some odd reason this worked. So I mixed my song best I could, but get this. Once I save the file, I am unable to open it again. So now when I have to change this file I have to re-import each track one by one (all at once is a no go!!!) from the session file to a new session. Rediculous, but it works. The worst thing is, this isn't even on all my sessions, its only on these particular three!!!! I was tempted to reformat to XP until I realized this, and finally managed to get hold of my mixes. Even worse, I can't compare my mixes because as soon as I go from one to the other, it will crash. Okay I'm done moaning now. I know I don't deserve any help being on Windows 7 and all, but if every pro tools user put £5 in, maybe the program could be re-written completely over the next few years instead of putting code on code on code etc...