Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 AM

Default Re: 3.01 still not working?

I'm just doing straight mixing in PT11, no ReWire or VI stuff. (You can see the Gypsy system profile below.) I just keep the EuControl 3.0.1 Installer disc image mounted or nearby, and whenever I start up Pro Tools I just run the thing again. Takes a few more keystrokes and is somewhat annoying, but it gets me up and working in less than a minute.

Not ideal, but in my case functional. Now I need a Control to be able to hot switch between fader setups (like I can on the ICON).

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post

In essence, one or more of my surfaces (Mix,Control,Transport) show up as active & claimed in the 'My surfaces' in the Surfaces section of EUCon but *also* show as '*available*' in the 'All surfaces' section. Yet the Mix surface(in this case) is seen by Pro Tools and can be used as expected.
I've noticed this also... I've also found that if I power-on the units with a particular procedure after I've booted the computer, all of the units are claimed by the DAW properly. This procedure is as follows:

Boot computer, and wait for it to completely load EuCon evidenced by the dark EuCon icon in the system tray!

Power each unit one by one leaving enough time for EuCon to discover the unit before I try to power on the next! I leave about three seconds after I see the computer monitor screen flash indicating the unit has been discovered and claimed by my DAW!

I power the units in this order: Control, Mix, and then the Transport!

All units are properly claimed by the DAW 100% of the time, and do not also show as available on the network!

Now, if I can only figure out the scenario that is causing EuCon to crash after I close Cubase and then immediately try to power down one of the units... I could then report a repeatable procedure that might help the EuCon team in their debugging efforts!

I suspect that there are still processes running in the background after I have exited Cubase, and that more time is needed for these processes to clear, before EuCon knows it is safe to disengage with the units.

Al

Last edited by MoPro; 11-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 AM

I had the same problem, Artist Mix 3.0 was not working right.

Adding Pro Tools in my Systempreverences - Eucon solved the Problem. Now working great!

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2013-11-22 um 12.13.41.png (88.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM

I very seldom write replies here, but here's what is working almost all of the time for me:

It seems in my case, I have the most consistent work if I start the Artist controllers, then start the computer, then start Pro Tools and then start Eucontrol. If that fails, usually just restarting Eucontrol at that point will work. It takes a couple of minutes for all to connect, but it seems pretty solid once it does. For this particular application I am in PT 11 HD, on a MacBook Pro 17" 2011 with 10.8.4. I use a switch when I have multiple Artist devices. I recently also started with the Belkin thunderbolt express dock and it seems to make no difference to the controllers.

System Info:

MacbookPro 2.5 GHz Intel i7
OS 10.9.1 w/ 8 GB of ram PT 11.1.1
Rockstar 320 GB hard drive FW 800 - 800 about 3' long for recording
Internal 750 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi SATA drive not used for recording
MacPro 2009 16gb, 4 drives, 8 cores 10.6.8, PT 8
HD 3
MBox Pro 2, Presonsus SL 24.4.2, Sound Devices USB Pre 2, Magma T Bolt chassis with HDX
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I very seldom write replies here, but here's what is working almost all of the time for me:

It seems in my case, I have the most consistent work if I start the Artist controllers, then start the computer, then start Pro Tools and then start Eucontrol. If that fails, usually just restarting Eucontrol at that point will work. It takes a couple of minutes for all to connect, but it seems pretty solid once it does. For this particular application I am in PT 11 HD, on a MacBook Pro 17" 2011 with 10.8.4. I use a switch when I have multiple Artist devices. I recently also started with the Belkin thunderbolt express dock and it seems to make no difference to the controllers.
Thanks for this. Solved my problems. I was afraid they were caused by the Belkin unit (which I'm also using)

Also, could someone post the link to the Eucon 3.0.1 update, can't seem to find it in the usual places.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions here have helped me (and from what I can see, others either). And still no word from AVID - no way I'm paying for customer support for such a common issue. Might just have to stick with 2.71 or sell this thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:11 PM

We have solved our drop-outs by doing the following:

Start computer (Mac OSX)
Start EuCon 3.01
Start the Artist units one at a time
Starting PT11HD/10HD after the spinning E and all 4 units connected

The reason beeing that Eucon is NOT on autostart anymore as we manually start that when computer is fully booted up.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2013, 08:34 PM

Are you saying that it shouldn't be auto-started? Mine is still part of the auto-start. When I turn on my Artist Mix, EuControl shows that it is connected. It is just that none of my DAW programs recognize it.

I switched back to 2.71 and of course, Cubase 7.5 and Logic X work perfectly well with it along with PT 10. Surprising that PT 11 refuses to work with that version of EuCon at all considering other brand new DAW versions do...
Old 12-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
Are you saying that it shouldn't be auto-started? Mine is still part of the auto-start. When I turn on my Artist Mix, EuControl shows that it is connected. It is just that none of my DAW programs recognize it.

I switched back to 2.71 and of course, Cubase 7.5 and Logic X work perfectly well with it along with PT 10. Surprising that PT 11 refuses to work with that version of EuCon at all considering other brand new DAW versions do...
Well I am not saying this will work for everyone but we unchecked the auto start on Mac and wait until the "E" have stopped spinning and then start one unit at a time and after all 4 are on and connected we start PT.

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Hi - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that did not work. Cubase 7.5, Logic X, and PT 11 did not interact with the Artist Mix at all. Reinstalled 2.71 again and everything worked fine (it is much more robust too) - except with PT11 of course. Unless AVID supports EuCon 2.71 or truly fixes 3.0 in PT11, I think my only option is to sell PT11 and the Artist Mix. Very disappointing.