Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Default I need more memory access for VI's

I am new to ProTools but relatively Mac savvy (from using Final Cut and whatnot) but, having just bought Protools 9 and been informed in the advertising that I could use up to 96 Instrument channels, I was disappointed to find that, in my real world, I can only load in about 20 before I get an "out of memory" alert.

I am using Symphobia and Garritan orchestras and Garritan Steinway and have, to date, only used Kontakt 4.1.3 and Garritan's Aria Player.

And, from reading multiple posts on this board, I am learning that I might do well to buy REAPER in the hope that I will be able to load in more - like MANY more VIs with this Reaper software which appears to be, in my old fashioned terms, a sequencer.

I also hear you people chatting about VE Pro and REWIRE, but don't understand how they would apply to my plight which is simply that I want to run as many VIs as possible and that I be able to use these sample libraries which have massive samples.

Please don't jump all over me. I'm a newbie to ProTools and I could do with a guiding hand.

Forgot to mention - I'm using the M Box 2 mini.

With many thanks,

Harry.

Last edited by harry3232010; 12-14-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Default Re: I need more memory access for VI's

Reaper is a full-featured DAW that supports VST plug-ins/instruments. Reaper is a 64-bit application, meaning it can access memory above the 4gB limit of 32-bit applications (like Pro Tools 9).

Rewire is a protocol that allows for easy and relatively seamless transfer of information between two programs. It was develop by Propellerheads to allow Reason to flow into DAWs such as Pro Tools. Reaper supports Rewire. Your workflow would involve creating a track in Pro Tools, inserting a Rewire "plug-in" in that track, and directing your Rewire client (Reaper) to push information to Pro Tools. In Reaper, you create a track and insert your VST virtual instrument. Both DAWs run concurrently and Pro Tools transport will control Reaper's.

See information on Rewire here

Reaper is cheap, from $40 to $150 depending on your status.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM

Thank you very much for your swift reply.

It seem that, since you say Reaper can access memory above this 4 gig max, that I should give this a shot.

I have read the Propellerhead Rewire link, but I do not fully understand. Maybe you can confirm: you mean that I run Protools as normal, but that I SEND a signal to REAPER via REWIRE - and that REWIRE is a plug in. So I remain working within Protools?

Sorry to be such a dope, because your reply was so concise. I will do my homework if you send me any more links.

With many thanks for your generous reply,

Harry.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry3232010 View Post
I have read the Propellerhead Rewire link, but I do not fully understand. Maybe you can confirm: you mean that I run Protools as normal, but that I SEND a signal to REAPER via REWIRE - and that REWIRE is a plug in. So I remain working within Protools?
Pro Tools is the boss in this relationship. Rewire is a plug-in which you insert as usual in Pro Tools. Pro Tools sends and receives information from Reaper. You can set up 256 different channels within Rewire (more than Pro Tools actually supports).

So, say you have a piano synth you want to run but you don't have the memory available within Pro Tools. You create a new track and insert a Rewire plug-in. You have to do a bit of setting up for Rewire on both sides, but ignore that for the moment.

In Reaper, you create a track and you insert the VST synth. Reaper's output is now Rewire.

When you go back to Pro Tools, and you hit "play", it will control both transports.

This is dated and shows it using Reason, but the concepts are the same. I use Reason for all of my VI, and use Rewire extensively. It is a fantastic tool. With Reaper being so cheap... it is a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry3232010 View Post
Sorry to be such a dope, because your reply was so concise. I will do my homework if you send me any more links.
No worries at all.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Again - my thanks for the reply.

This sounds like just the trick for me.

Many thanks for the help. I pretty much get the picture now. Do you happen to know if version 1.7 the latest for the Mac? I can't find a version any higher.

Harry.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 PM

And download the VEPro demo as well. Also works like a charm.

It's easy to get around the limit and it's fun to really open up the creativity with tons of VI's.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Now the Vienna stuff is a no go without a Vienna or Steinberg key so let's be careful how loosely we throw "demo it" around...

Sent from EPIC 4G Using Tapatalk On'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
And download the VEPro demo as well. Also works like a charm.

It's easy to get around the limit and it's fun to really open up the creativity with tons of VI's.

Carl
I agree. Even with having to purchase a Key to use VE Pro, this thing really is nice for using VIs with PT 9.

You can use VE Pro in 32 bit or 64 bit, or both together, or 2 or more 32 bit or 64 bit VE Pro instances.

For example, I use Camel Audio's Alchemy, which is 32 bit, inside of VE Pro 32 bit, along with some other 32 bit VIs. Then, I open the VE Pro 64 bit and load some Orchestral instruments.

I don't know if there's another piece of software like VE Pro, but it's really worth a good look.

Dennis
Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 PM

enable memory server in k4 and you can access more than 4 2gb ram.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
enable memory server in k4 and you can access more than 4 2gb ram.
exactly! No need to buy other software. You can do it already with what you have.

Also, Kontakt has a streaming from disc function as well. Depending on how you are setup and the speed of your harddrives, that can also cause you to get "not enough memory" errors.

Also, you never mentioned how much RAM you actually have. If you only have 4GB of RAM total, you'll hit the same wall no matter what programs you buy. You'll probably want somewhere between 12GB-32GB of RAM or more when running lots of VIs.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page