Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-24-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Free phase checking plugin?

Wow.... that's a great link. Thanks.

How do you think the xy pattern would sound with two different mics? I only have one condensor, so I'll be using the AT4033 and an SM57.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:08 PM

Well, it depends how you mix it.. I know for XY stuff I usually use our matched set of C1000S's.. Because I usually pan the overheads so I know that they'll both sound similar.. I'd say try it out, if you're doing acoustic guitar like this guy, it won't matter anyway.. The body puts out much different sounds than the neck..

eric
Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM

When ever you record a sound with more than one mic there will be some phasing. One way to asses thing is to apply a plug in that has phase reversal ie the digi delay program. If it is a stereo guitar track set up the dlay plug as either a multi mono or stereo plug . Keep all the dealy stuff at zero or turned off and then try flipping the phase on one of the inputs. So called "out of phase " will have less bottom and the image will tend to wander a bit more. It can sound quite interesting though. Apparently Will ackerman of Wyndam Hill fame used to deliberaterly record some guitars out of phase. Also pan both tracks to mono, if the sound really disappears you are probably better off to flip the phase of one of your inputs. As where said its a complex issue.

Make sure your main audio signal chain is in phase! I just discoverd last night that my monitors were out of phase after I had done some rewireing . I was wondering if I was losing my mind. The same test applies. run a factory CD through your system. Reverse the leads of one of the speakers. If the bass gets better leave it alone , if not put it back.

Of course this assumes that you have got some reasonable listiening eviroment
Old 10-26-2003, 01:14 AM

Quote:
...troubleshoot phase coherency using the BF EssentialTM Correlation Meter.
It works on stereo tracks or stereo submixes. Stop phase problems before they start!
This is a plugin I´ve never used myself, but it is available for USD 69:-
http://www.bombfactory.com/
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 10-26-2003, 07:45 AM

no harm intended, but if you got your main speakers out of phase and you don't notice, you are not listening...
the most important thing in music and recording is to listen, and pay atention to what your ears tell you... then you can take advantage of many things, even phase issues...
even a recording done with just ONE mic can have phasing if placed near a reflective surface, due to comb filtering.
i love to place many mics in front of the gtr. amp. and mix the signals using phase as a form of sculpting the sound, specially when trying to get a grunchy distorted kind of sound. other thing that works for me, is to crank up mostly the best sounding mic of the session without eq, and then if i need more high or low end, you dramatically boost one of the other mic's signals with eq, and mix to the amount desired to the other signal. I feel that the obtained sound i get is more natural that when you apply eq. to the whole thing. I kinda feel that eq, breaks the distorted gtr. sound a bit. When you are not shure about the sound, maybe because you are not in your place and you don't feel confident about the monitoring, you can record on multiple tracks each of the mic's signals and live the final sound for the mix.
Knowing your monitors is crucial. 
as many allready said, if the phase is causing severe cancellation, you don't need a plug in to hear it, but if you are looking for a thin wierd sound (which can be the case depending of what you want for the song) then the sever phasing is there to help you. A small amount of phasing can color the sound in pleasant and uncommon ways. Use the best plug in you got, wich is plugged to your head: EARS.
Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2003, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Unless one is an expert in the field of audio, and I don't mean you've been mixing for several years expert, but you've got a PhD in the field kind of expert, you cannot look at multiple waveforms and identify phase issues. It is a complex formula that is not going to be an easy oh look there problem. different frequencies between different instruments at varying points cause phasing, as well as interactions with mics in a multiple mic setup. You'll hear it before you coudl ever see it.
I guess I have a PhD.
If the initial transient is out-of-phase, then it's gonna be out-of-phase. I do this all the time for multi-mic'ed instruments (bass, guitar...). Sorry, dood...but, seeing is believing. You should try it sometime. It's not my first resort...but, one you can easily do it to make a quick check. I usually do it for multi-mic'ed bass cab and DI. Lately, I've been tracking using a bunch of LittleLab IBP's. They work wonders!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:23 PM

I ended up using the AT4033 and the SM57 in an XY pattern. Couldn't hear any phasing, and I'm really happy with how it came out. Hear for yourself:

http://www.lumiere.net/~nat/Reason-New-Mix.mp3
Old 05-13-2021, 06:47 AM

Old Thread, but thought I’d weigh-in for the next bloke who’s searching for this.
One can easily identify waveforms that are in or out of phase by placing them side/by/side, zooming-in to see hills and valleys of the waveform, and check if the hills and valleys are opposite or in sync with each other between the two tracks you’re comparing. Of course the tracks need to be in time-sync by placing both at the same starting point so the time delay doesn’t give a false impression of phase. That, or you could just use an EQ with a phase adjustment option and test in MONO with or without the phase inverted. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Justb; 05-13-2021 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Missed an important point about time-sync