Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-27-2000, 01:40 PM

Default I cant get the guitar sound I want.....

I am using 2 mics (SM 57 & AKG C-300) and I am running those 2 mics into a Mackie 1202 VLZ. I have to consolidate my track space so I send the 2 channels on the Mackie to Channel 1 on the 001 hardware piece.(therefore I only use 1 track)

My Damn AKG is picking up too much and I have the gain knob on the Mackie all the way down. My guitar is distorting...any advice?

Question #1
Should I turn the Gain knob on Channel 1 of the 001 all the way down? or should I use channel 3 on the 001 since I'm using the Mackie to control the gain....????

Question #2
I want some info on different guitar mic positions...Does anyone know any websites that has info on micing up instruments..???

Thank You so mucho...

Trash Man

Old 07-27-2000, 02:25 PM

Default Re: I cant get the guitar sound I want.....

Ah. Yeah, if you're using the Mackie pre-amp, then you don't need to use the 001's pre-amp, too. You can, if you want the sound that gives you, but generally you only need/want one pre-amp in the chain. What I'd probably do is listen to the mixed guitar channels out of the Mackie, tweak to where it sounds good, then send it to one of channels 3-8 on the 001. (Otherwise, yeah, you can turn the gain all the way down on the 001's 1/2 inputs. The sound will be slightly colored by the extra electronics in the pre.) In Pro Tools, check the VU meter on that channel to be sure you're getting as much input as you can without clipping. Adjust this on the Mackie.
Old 07-27-2000, 02:38 PM

Thanks Zavija,
I'll go through channel 3 of the 001..I really appreciate the help....

Anyone know any good sites for free recording techniques...Or even a forum for home recordists...??

Trash Man....
Old 07-27-2000, 03:14 PM

Just a note,
I found if I was going through my tube pre, connecting to 001 1 & 2 with the gain hard left it would still distort the signal. But press -26db button in and all is OK.
The io's in the front are just so covenient especially on my rig.
Regards Nick from Aussie
Old 07-27-2000, 04:09 PM

Trash, are you close micing the 57 to the cabinet? setting the 57 a little off axis, not directly @ the speaker? I suspect the akg is used as a room mic? I like to use that same set up, except i use NT-1 for a room, about 12 feet from the cab, facing it, really easy comp, 1.5:1, or maybe 2:1. and yes do not double the pres. Have you tried using 2 seperate tracks, and mixing the 2 git tracks to "git" the git sound you want? If you can spare the extra track...oh yeah!

peace

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 07-27-2000, 04:30 PM

You might want to just try the 57 alone to see how close you can get to your "ideal" sound. Then experiment with the "room" mic.

Here's a place for some basic recording tips for guitar:
http://amrecordingworkshop.com/arwgtr.html

I also found a couple of books that might help:

"Recording Techniques for Small Studios by David Mellor"

or "Hard-Disk Recording Handbook
By Mark Nelson"

- disclaimer - I haven't read them, but they look good...

Also, check the following sites:
http://www.mixbooks.com/
http://www.musicbooksplus.com/
http://www.recordingmag.com/mumak/Catalog

Also, Borders, Barnes&Noble, and the ever-present Amazon all have a good variety of music technology-type books.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 07-27-2000, 07:26 PM

Have you ever thought about cheating and using a Line6 Pod? ;-)
Old 07-27-2000, 08:05 PM

Is there a pad switch on the AKG C3000?
Old 07-28-2000, 10:02 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MattStrat:
Is there a pad switch on the AKG C3000?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The C-3000 has a 10db pad, a low cut filter, and selectable cardioid or hypercardioid pickup patterns. IHMO, it's a very decent mic for $269.

The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots.
Old 07-28-2000, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the advice...I'll try all the advice....lwilliam, I have tried a 57 alone but I love the extra sound that my c-3000 gives me...I usually mic it about 5 or 6 feet away...I'll try it from farther away....As for the 57 I do tilt it a bit and mess around until I get something I like...But I will check out the web sites you guys posted....Thanks for all the help...

Trash Man