Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Exclamation Not getting sound from my guitar!!

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this but I might as well try...

I've just done a fresh install of PT LE 7.1.2 on my Xp machine. Using the Mbox 2 Pro as my interface.

I'm getting audio with the demo session and by playing .wma's on my comp but I can't get any sound to come from my guitar.

Here's exactly what I'm doing...

I create a new session. Then, add a mono instrument track (but have also tried the other types as well). After that, I open the mix window and have tried ALL the inputs. Still, I cannot get any sound to register. It's like I have nothing plugged in.

FYI, I've never worked in PT before so please bare with me. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Not getting sound from my guitar!!

Do you have the input on your mbox switched to "instrument"? A guitar pickup is a VERY VERY VERY weak signal, so if that input is in 'line' or "DI" mode, you won't see a significant level.
We'd "bare" with you but bare is another word for naked. Let's opt for "bear."
Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM

You need to create an Audio track, not an Instrument track. (Instrument tracks are used with Midi/Synth pairs.)

You need to make sure that the input of the Audio track is set to match whatever physical input your guitar is plugged into.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM

"Then, add a mono instrument track"
That is incorrect. You should record your guitar to an audio track. Instrument tracks are for combining midi and soft synths(easy to get confused on new terminology). Create an audio track, chose input(1 or 20 plug in your guitar and pluck it. Click on the RECORD button so it flashes red. With the GAIN knob up and the DI input selected on the Mbox, you should see the track meter jumping. If you don't, review. If you DO see the meter move with signal, try to record a few strums. If you get no signal while the transport is running, then you may have selected INPUT ONLY MONITORING(Alt-K with keyboard focus turned on). You can check under the options menu for that as well. Once you get recording to work, then you will need to deal with the MIX knob. Generally, you would turn the mix knob halfway and MUTE the recording track(it still records). The MIX knob will balance your new signal with the tracks that are already recorded.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks, problem solved. Now, I'm trying to mic my amp and all I have is a condensor microphone and an xlr to 1/4" cable. I'm not getting anything. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM

You have to use a balanced cable for a condenser mic. Either an XLR to XLR, or an XLR to 1/4 TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleve). You'll also have to make sure the Phantom Power button is depressed.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM

And unless I'm mistaken, the phantom power is ONLY on the XLR jack, not the 1/4" so it HAs to be an xlr cable period.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
And unless I'm mistaken, the phantom power is ONLY on the XLR jack, not the 1/4" so it HAs to be an xlr cable period.
That is correct.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Wow! Thanks, that's such a relief. I was worried I might have to buy a new mic. Thanks a lot, fellas!