Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Mac OS X \'Tiger\' compatibility information.

"I just installed Tiger and Protools 6.4. Will this work?"

Nope. Digi should have been more clear in this post. Not only does 6.9 not work with tiger, NO version of PT does.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 AM

Just bought Tiger.

I'd like to Beta Test this.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 AM

Lads lads lads lad lads !!

I have just upgraded to Tiger and have a 12"powerbook runnning an MBOX with PT.

I suppose this is my fault for not having checked 10.4 and PT compatabilty beforehand, but c'mon !!!

Tiger has been on the way for a long time now and i'm sure the association between between Mac and Avid has to be somewhat fluent, so could they not have got the update release time to go in tandem with the release of Tiger???

Why must the consumer, constantly chase manufacturers?

Did they really not expect people to go with the Tiger upgrade ffs '

Luckily, my PT setup is not my core system so I can work on a current project elsewhere, but I can imagine this thread is going to grow and grow with increased frustration as users without the luxury of a second PT setup discover a re-format is needed in order to get PT back to a usable state !!

Digidesign, get the finger out ! 6-8 weeks ???!! :@

By the way, Tiger ROXKs
Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Avid

The reason for the time between the Tiger release and Pro Tools compatibility has many factors, the most important being the immense test grid that must be gone through to make sure everything is working properly. Yes, Digi does get developer versions of Tiger, however we found several issues that needed to be addressed in beta versions and the last 'Gold' version is the one we are currently testing on.

If you compare the number of products that other manufacturers have to test for compatibility you will get an idea of why it takes Digi longer to do so. Not only do we test all products, but we test them in a wide range of computer models - making no assumption that if it works on one computer, it will work on every one. Also due to the wide variety of audio engines used in the industry, specific differences in those audio engines can determine how much work needs to be done on the manufacturers part to make their system compatibile.

For instance - Universal Audios UAD-1 will require significant driver updates for compatibility with Tiger and they're anticipating a Mid-June release date. TC's Powercore, on the other hand, works in Panther without any updates.

The reality is this - there is no one here at Digi resting on their laurels, witholding a compatible version of Pro Tools. We are as eager as you to get a compatible version out as quickly as possible, however we are not going to do it at the expense of proper testing. If we are in a no-win situation, where customers are going to complain either way, we'd rather them complain about it taking longer than they would like than to release the product early only to discover serious issues with it.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 PM

I've been thinking of buying a 002R for some months now but i don't know anymore....my 001 will get me stuck on Panther untill i upgrade to the 002.
In a couple of years OR LESS, i'll have to buy a 003 cause my 002 won't be compatible with Lion or Mastodon and PT 7.6.....

End of the story....for me.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
this is so funny, the developper tool for tiger has been out for ages now, don't you think digidesign could have seen that comin'??
this is a major pain cause this means no more digi001, a lot of people are gonna be sad...
I have a DIGI 001 and a small panther partition on a very large hard drive. When I'm recording, I really don't want or need any other apps running and this way I can have the best of both worlds. Latest system for everything else, and a dedicated system for ProTools.

Ya gotta quit thinking like a luddite. If you need options, they are out there. Is it as convenient? I suppose not, but it's really not that big a deal. I'll be using m 001 for years to come and I can still mix and edit in the latest versions on a different partition, if I so desire.

I don't see this as a big deal at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:06 AM

Quote:

You could use an external Drive as long as it's bootable. Or a second internal Hard Drive. Or if your main Hard Drive is big enough you could partition it. One booting Panther one Tiger. But not on an IMac G5, if your using a Digi 001. For the 001 you need a 5.0V PCI slot I believe. Imacs don't have PCI Slots. The new Power Mac G5's only support 3.3V PCI Cards. If you have an older Power Mac G4 (Not G3 or below) you can. They supported 3.3V, 5V, and 12V PCI cards.
Oh crap, you mean I can't use an 001 with a G5? How the heck do I withdraw an ebay bid without getting hosed?

I can't blow all that money and have the dang 001 not work. Dual 1.25GHZ G4, here I come.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 AM

Thank you digiDesign for a proper response. Although it is no confort to us waiting, it is a good response nevertheless. I for one appreciate the effort being put into properly testing the software. I have been a software tester in the past and know the process involved with proper testing methods. Please keep us updated.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-07-2005, 11:51 AM

i'm wondering will there be a driver for the digi 001 and 10.4???

I don't use protools much, so only a driver would do it for me!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the explanation and update, much appreciated.

I downloaded the 6.9 update, installed it and now my MBOX error message has gone !!

PT opens and DAE loads! Previosly I got a message stating that my MBOX was not connected but in use by another application.

The only error I now get is that the volume my audio files are on, is not a valid session. ("Session must be on an audio record volume").

Any possible work around suggestions most welcome !

I'm working on post production for a TV series at the moment so the movie loads, but alas, no audio !!

Any Beta copies of the update would be much appreciated.

M
Closed Thread