Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 03:21 AM

Default Installation Failed The installer can't install some files in "/"

Hello, I have borrowed a computer with OS 10.6.2. and MBox Micro and it is not working.

I get this message

and have followed everything on this page, many times
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...62761&langid=1

and been on this page

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=260924

This is gonna cost me a days work if I cant get it sorted in the next hour

PLEASE HELP.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Installation Failed The installer can't install some files in "/"

have installed 8.03 and still get same message. and followed same instructions [install one by one] etc.

have lost a freelance days work now.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Have done a full uninstall at admin level. repaired permissions. then created new user and installed bit by but as told to.

SAME PROBLEM.
Have been on the phone to DIGI tech support three times and they said thats all they can think of.

The silence is deafening.

time and money down the drain and still no answer from digi on this thread and on the other thread.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 AM

You may have seen this already but the link to the knowledgebase reference you provided above http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=260924 was a different one.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...e+files+in+%2F
If you encounter the above error you will need to install Pro Tools one component at a time. To do so: 1) Run your Pro Tools installer. 2) When you see "Custom Install" stop and uncheck CoreAudio. 3) Click on the right arrow next to "Pro Tools" This will expand the contents. 4) Uncheck DigiRack plug-ins and Free Bomb Factory plug-ins. 5) At this point the only item that should be checked is "Application Files", verify this and hit Continue. 6) The install should complete successfully. Once it does you will need to go back and run the installer again and install the plug-ins and CoreAudio separately. 7) To install the plug-ins separately, follow steps 1, 2 and 3 above. 8) Next, Uncheck Application files and hit continue. Once this process completes run the Pro Tools Installer again. 9) When You get to the "Custom Install" screen, uncheck "Pro Tools" The only thing that should be checked now is CoreAudio. 10) Hit Continue to complete the installation. If this does not fix the problem, follow these steps: 1) Open your main hard drive on the desktop (commonly named Mac HD) 2) Open "Library" folder, then go to the "Application Support" folder. 3) Drag the "Digidesign" folder out of the "Application Support" folder, and drop it on the desktop. 4) The installer should now work. A new "Digidesign" folder will be created by the installer in /Library/Application Support.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the input but as you can see in my 1st post I've done that many times

Cheers
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Hey - if you have the 8.0 LE disc, try this: (this wont work unless you've set a password for the account)

Insert the Pro Tools LE 8 installer disk & double click on the “Pro Tools LE” DVD icon on the desktop.

Hold down the Shift key and the Command Key and press U. Shift + Command +U. This should open the Utilities Folder.

Open the application ‘Terminal’. This will bring us to the command line of Mac OS X. It should show your computer name followed by the ~ symbol, followed by your user name, followed by the $ symbol. The terminal is awaiting commands. In the following instructions, text in quotes is what should be entered into the command line, or what the command line should display. Do not include the quotation marks, and be aware that the command line is case-sensitive.

We need to navigate to the Pro Tools Installer.

Type "cd"
Press the space bar
Type "/V"
Press tab
The command line should auto-complete "/Volumes/"
Type "P"
Press tab
The command line should auto-complete "/Volumes/Pro\ Tools\ LE/”

If the command line reads "cd /Volumes/Pro\ Tools\ LE/ " press Return.

You will know these steps have succeeded if the command prompt shows
"(ComputerName):Pro Tools LE (UserName)$"

Type "sudo"
Press the space bar
Type "installer"
Press the space bar
Type "-pkg"
Press the space bar
Type "I"
Press Tab
The command line should auto-complete "Install\ Pro\ Tools\ LE.mpkg/"
Press the space bar
Type "-target"
Press the space bar
Type "/"
If the command line reads
"sudo installer -pkg Install\ Pro\ Tools\ LE.mpkg/ -target /" press Return.

You will know these steps have succeeded if the command prompt shows
"Password:"

You must enter your user password. When you type your password here, no
keypresses will show in the command line so enter your password carefully
and press Return.

If you entered your password correctly the command line should show "installer: Package name is Pro Tools LE " followed on the next line by "installer: Upgrading at base path /"

Wait a few moments.

When the installation has succeeded, the command line should show "installer: The upgrade was successful." followed on the next line by "installer: The install requires restarting now."

Restart your computer

Pro Tools is now installed.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM

I dont mean to dredge up old threads, but this is what worked for me, and i hope it will work for some other poor soul.

10.8.2 pro tools 8.
tried installing, got the "/" error. tried the digi way, installing separates, same error. dragged my library/digidesign folder to desktop, installed, error.

open spotlight, search digidesign. show all in finder. click the + next to save, drop down menu under "kind" click other. navigate to system files and click the "in menu" checkbox, then OK.

now under the "kind" menu you should have "system files." click that, next menu over change it from "arent included" to "are included.

if this is a fresh install, you dont have to worry about saving any preferences.

for me, it was a reinstall. I had to save plugs and prefs to port over to the new install. Open MacHD/Library/Application Support and drag the Digidesign folder there to your desktop. that has some important stuff to weed through later.

Nows the scary part. BE SMART. dont screw around deleting system files willy nilly, but in order to get the installation running smoothly, you have to make your mac believe pro tools was never there. start deleting. if you DONT KNOW what youre doing, ask someone who does.

install. worked for me.